Pic of the Day--Garden Tour 30

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Garden Tour 30

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--This is the last of the "Garden Tour" photos. It turns out that this is also probably the least attractive/interesting part of our garden. It all starts with the problem that I have of not being able to throw away a hosta. Even the seedlings that turn out to be blah, plain green things that no one in their right mind (thus eliminating hostaholics) would find any use for. So, we had this weed patch under mostly pine trees on a bank between our land and our neighbors house and I had a bunch of rejectable seedlings. I decided that any hosta was better than any weed and so I planted the hostas and this photo is the result. On the upper left hand corner is the row of named hostas that I call "Loser's Lane".
Attachments
Pine Bank 71505c.JPG
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

It still looks a lot better than a bunch of weeds, Hank!! :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Beautiful, Hank. "Loser's Lane"....? I hate to throw any plant away. I wonder if, in my case, it's because so many times I get a plant and I nearly kill it then revive it! Not so much any more....I really am getting better!! :roll:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

The tour was beautiful, Hank. What you have there, I can only dream of!

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I too, loved the tour! I say they look better than weeds, too :D

Thanks again!! :P
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

Looks great to me Hank!!! Thanks so much for the wonderful tour!!

Stephanie
Lessadragon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Lessadragon »

Hank,

It has once again been a pleasure. I never tire of looking at your gardens. You and Betty have done such a wonderful job. Thank you for sharing your little piece of heaven with us.

Lynn
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

That area that includes your "loser's lane" looks better than some of my best areas!! :lol:
Fantastic tour, Hank. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Thanks for taking the time and effort to share it with us. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Linda P

Re: Pic of the Day--Garden Tour 30

Post by Linda P »

Hank Zumach wrote: we had this weed patch under mostly pine trees on a bank between our land and our neighbors house and I had a bunch of rejectable seedlings. I decided that any hosta was better than any weed
Hank, I totally agree with that!! It looks to me like this is a 'blending in' area of your hosta garden with the wilds beyond. Lovely.
Thanks for the tour. I've enjoyed it immensely, and you've brought us from the depths of winter to the break of spring with the visit to your little piece of paradise.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Thanks Hank

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D :D Makes OC want to get out in the yard and do something nice with his. Actually he should have said, get somebody to do something with his. seems like every time, since the first of the year, that OC has somebody lined up to start, it rains the day before, that day, and the next day. Boy his water table should be way up this year.....

Beautiful Hank, thanks for taking time to show us around...OC
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Thanks for the tour, Hank! Really enjoyed it and learned lots of things, too! I'll be tryin' out those ground covers, and when I build the back wall to my new hosta beds (the wall that really no one will see except me, but I still want it pretty), I can use those cinder blocks I've been collecting! I'll just grow some of that beautiful "viney stuff." Thanks for showing us, too, what the framework was. Very helpful for obtaining sturdy and beautiful!!!!

BTW...what kind of fertilizer do you use? I am new to the forum, and all that info is out there somewhere, but I may start a fertilizer topic.... :roll:

Oh, and BTW, what was that beautiful "viney stuff" you have covering the front foundation wall?
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Charla--When I do use a fertilzer on the hostas, which may not be every year, I use a slow release. I now can get a 50 pound bag for about $25.00 that I had a local garden supply company start to carry. If you call some of your local farm supply companies, you should be able to find someone interested in stocking something similar. It makes it MUCH cheaper than buying Osmocote or similar products.

The vine that covers our retaining walls is Boston Ivy. It works very well for that purpose but it will take a few years to spread out.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

It looks so green and lush, much better than weeds or even grass. 8-) Thanks so much for the tour Hank. It was a pleasure taking a virtual walk through your gardens. :D
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Thank you for the tour :D

I is the 3. time I see it, and it get better and better. I enjoyeed every picture, but was like a child just waiting for the Christmas presents, the day before you showed the wiev from the bench :lol:

Thanks for the efford and time, be sure it is loved :D
I still remember, how í used it as a newbe to check out good and bad hostas.

Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply