Pic of the Day--Squash Casserole

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Gee thanks, Linda... :roll: You can try to blame me for that one but it was ALL you. :wink: LOL

They were potlucks when I was growing up too. [Probly still are.] The rural neighborhood I grew up in used to have a potluck supper at the one room schoolhouse on a Friday nite once a month. [My mom & most of the other ladies were all in a social club too so I'm sure that played a part in those get-togethers.] I never did go to school there - all the country kids went to town to school starting the year I was in Kindergarten [there would have been 2 in my grade if we had gone there] - but I have some good memories of playing with the other kids at those potluck dinners.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Have we had a more lively discussion in a while, or have I been too busy to enjoy the topics this much :lol:

I agree, the name of this one has me scratching my head too, but I didn't really think it made the plant any less difficult to sell than most of the greenish-yellow ones. The only way to really sell this one is to grow a nice big one, give it just enough sunlight to make it shine, and give it a great companion plant like Reldon's Striptease :) But honestly, I can never grow enough to satisfy demand :wow:

There are two sports that I know of from Squash Casserole. Key Lime Pie, as mentioned, the green centered one, and the green edged version is called 'Yesterday's Memories'. I started some TCs of Yesterday's Memories last year and if it grows up as quickly as its parent I expect it to start looking nice this year, but it is planned for our 2008 catalog.

But honestly, shouldn't this new sport have been named something different? Maybe 'Yesterday's Leftovers'? :hmm:
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Chris, Maybe the person who named it took a trip down memory lane via the casserole highway? :lol:
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Pic of the Day--Squash Casserole

Post by redcrx »

And another beautiful plant on display at a meeting of the Delaware Valley Hosta Society, that was held in a member's garden, Squash Casserole.
Squash Casserole - June 4, 2016
Squash Casserole - June 4, 2016
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply