Chlorosis in seedlings...???

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
ademink

Chlorosis in seedlings...???

Post by ademink »

I have seedlings (below are Northern Exposure seedlings...showing red freckling on petioles! yay!) that have darker veins on a lighter leaf. This is in many of my seedlings, not just N.E.

Is this a deficiency of some sort? Chlorisis? Need for more fertilizer?

Thank you!
Andrea

Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
druff

Post by druff »

they look fine to me. i believe this is just the normal coloration of rapid leaf growth. the color will even out in time.

doug
ademink

Post by ademink »

Thanks so much for your reply, Doug. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't starving the little monsters to death or anything! :lol:

My Hosta List
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Some of mine look the same, thanks for asking! I feel better too.

Laura
wzbt03

Leaves

Post by wzbt03 »

I have had lots look like that, they all seem to come around. Pretty hard to discourage seedlings.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

They're very pretty...I like the shape of the leaves.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
ademink

Post by ademink »

Thank you, Charla! It's the first time I've grown from seed and I'm having a blast with it! I have a few interesting ones that are developing. I have a June seedling that looks quite unlike the others. It will be fun to watch them mature!

My Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

This is my first time with seeds, too, and it is a blast! I have some that sprouted all green and looked very boring, but when they put on the second leaves, some of them look quite different. I am having fun watching them. They all stayed the same for awhile, it seemed and now they have really taken off growing. Fun, fun, fun! :D
Charla
ademink

Post by ademink »

How fun!!!! :bd: :bd:

I'm way too new at this to cull anything either. LOL I keep thinking "what IF this is something SPECIAL and just isn't showing up until it's older????". :lol:

I can see it now.... :o Hostas EVERYWHERE...

My Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I, agree, ademink. My green ones all looked exactly the same 10 days ago. In fact I considered dumping the whole tray. But I am glad I didn't because the second leaves are much more interesting! I think I had my lights to close before and they were sunburned, thereby stopping them from developing properly. I figure even if I get a bunch of plain green ones, I can sell them at the farmer's market for a buck and at least get my money back from my seed purchases on ebay! These seeds though, were ones I collected off Frances Williams, Olive Bailey Langdon, and Abiqua Drinking Gourd x OP. But they have produced a few variegated ones and a few that look like they may have streaks, and the new leaves are all different shapes and sizes.
Charla
leafmould

Post by leafmould »

Hi Andrea :P they look fine. Removing syrofoam lip, down to the mix grade, will improve light strength to lower leaves.

Removing lower spent leaves wil greatly improve vigor.
Hold leaf with one hand, slide finger of other hand between top of petiole and crown and push down. :cool:
Mr. Leafmould
New Topic Post Reply