Gunther's Prize

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
hummingbird
USDA Zone: 9b

Gunther's Prize

Post by hummingbird »

Can anyone give me some info on your experience growing Gunthers Prize? Is it pokey, somewhat stable, best conditions it seems to like?
I have a couple coming and would like to know what to expect.
"Friends are as elusive as rainbows"
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Do you really think you need 2 of them?? I think you should send one on to me. Then if you accidentally kill the one in hot, dry Colorado, the other one will still be good. :)

:wink:

I'll see if I can find a pic of Gunther's Prize in the Stark Garden from the 2004 convention. I might have one from last year too.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

:lol: Reldon your a hoot u are....I got 2 coming, but it wasn't planned that way....I ordered 1 and then seen one in auction, I really didn't think I'd win it, but did, so that's the short story on that one.
I've seen the pics in the HL and it looks very pretty, and I want to keep it that way, yes CO hot dry conditions is exactly why I'm asking questions....probably plant each one in a differant location in hopes of not killing both. :roll: Thanks for that Reldon :P
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Stark's

Post by thehostagourmet »

Reldon, what is the story with Stark? Are they still operating? It's strange not to get a catalog from a nursery when you spend over $200 with them.

George
jgh

Post by jgh »

I don't have GP, so I can't help with the info you asked for... but I've always wanted one (hint :wink: hint :wink: hint :wink: )

And since George added a diversion with the Stark question, I'll go really far afield - Rachel, what ever happened to Little G-spot?!
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

:lol: Gawd I luv you guys!.....well Little G-spot is still back in Canada sleeping at the moment and I hope to get it over here in June along with some of my other special seedlings and sports. Still love that name btw....quite a catchy one :wink: .
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

I'd say it is comparable to Sum & Substance in growth rate...maybe a little slower. Won't get as big, though. If you do fine maintaining streakers, you'll do fine with GP. It seems to be more stable than your average streaked plant...if your plant has good markings to start with.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Just trying to be helpful, Rachel. :D

George - Stark Gardens was sold by Gunther's son, Dean, to Eric & Sheila Kinman after the 2004 AHS convention. I think the deal had been in the works before that, because I was up there for the 1st time in the fall of 2003 & Eric was working in the gardens then. [I just didn't know who he was until the following year.] I have a catalog from them from 2005 I think. I don't remember if I have one last year or not. Eric is a vendor at the Des Moines Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings. He was elected Vice-President of the ROHS last fall. The garden was on the ROHS summer tour last year. He's done a lot of work upgrading things. I don't know him except to see him & say hello. You can ask Marlys or HostaRod for more info about Stark's/Eric. They both know him.

I just looked thru my pics from both 2004 & 2006 & didn't find one pic of Gunther's Prize. :???: I have very few pics from the convention tour because the hostas & people were so thick & the paths back then were so narrow. And it was a rainy morning & they were muddy. Last year not so many people & the paths were wider & the display gardens were greatly expanded. But I still didn't take a pic of GP. :roll: I did find a pic of Eric, but...
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Jimmy Mac

Post by Jimmy Mac »

Hi Reldon Hostarod and my wife and my self Helped Eric o getting Starks into some kinda shape last year.Eric got to keep the name and the gardens.He vends at conventions and is open most of the time.He's building a house this year on the land.While trying to get things going at the gardens.I think he has his hands full.He usally sends out post card fliers.But he must be to busy for that.I'm sure hostarod and myself will be there to help again this year.He has alot to handle by him self.Jimmy
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Rachel
Reldons first reply was taken from my brain
Do you really think you need 2 of them?? I think you should send one on to me

What can I offer.. a cooler and more humid location- perfect for a back up :wink:

Enjoy :D

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

I'd pot them up for a while to see what climates you have within your yard. Growing hostas in Co. is no harder than in Iowa or Canada just have to remember where a little closer to the sun.
PS... I can be there in an hour if you decide you don't want both of them
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Stark Garden Catalog

Post by Marlys »

'Stark Gardens' catalog just went to press a couple weeks ago. I haven't gotten mine yet either. Eric emailed saying the catalog was being dropped at the printer about then.

I'm hoping to have Stark Gardens catalogs at the Garden Gala my local garden club is sponsoring April 14th in Knoxville, Ia.

I bet, if we're patient, they will come. :lol:

Jimmy Mac, good seeing you're still around. I was wondering how it's going up in your 'neck of the woods'.

MM
Lessadragon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Lessadragon »

Hi Rachael,

I think that, since you will be coming up to Canada anyway, that perhaps you should just bring one of those GP's up with you and I will take care of it for you. This would be a good idea just in case the other one doesn't do well in your hot, dry conditions. :D I really don't mind at all. In fact, I have the perfect spot for it. In fact, I think that I hear one of them calling out to us that it really, really likes that idea. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lynn
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

I bought one in 2005 at the convention.

here it is the night i brought home.

I have not had it long enough to offer you and info. - at least good info.

but I have it where it is shaded with a redbud and it seems to be happy even with several leaves missing thanks to the deer

2006 pic - not a good pic but it did get larger the fist year in the ground at least

you can see the leaf were about half is missing and a couple of others were gone - good thing they did not like it
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

There's Eric...He's being "hussied" by the red hat girls. It's a regional phenomena. Dean Stark now resides in Renton WA. I'm sure Eric and Sheila will make a good side job from the gardens. They both have day jobs currently. Maybe someday Stark Gardens will make a living for them. The Gunther's prize I got has now reverted to it's parent plant. I believe mine was TC. I'm glad it was a gift and I'm not out the money for the now stabilized plant. Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
Ref_DSCF5096.JPG
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
New Topic Post Reply