Spring Cleaning

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

That is really Looking Good!!!
I won't let my little friends get sunburned :wink:
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Jim
You need a few clematis :wink:

Coppernails dont work fast- it takes years-- an old cut down salix of mine put on shoots to staý alive for 3 years.. then it gave up

Peeled of the bark the first year... didn't do much-- burned a fire on top of it , same reslut.. but mid the 3. summer - it gave up :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Post by addieotto »

The brush killer is the key. Way better than regular round up. I paint it on the cut ends but the REAL job gets done as soon as your stump sets up a few shoots and they begin to leaf out. Don't cut them off. The leaves allow the brush killer to really do its job! After a week or two they will be shrivelled and crispy and you can get rid of them knowing you've sent poison deep into the remains. I've been able to take out the dreaded 'tree that grew in brooklyn' that suckers off every inch of root once it's cut down.
SUE
My hosta blog: http://myhostagardens.com
jgh

Post by jgh »

thanks Sue - great advice... I wouldn't have thought of that... of course, let it start growing and then use the leaves to transport the brush killer down to the roots... great!
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Hi all,

Been reading this thread with great interest. Madeofshade I can highly recommend the THORNLESS Honey Locust. Unlike it's wild counterpart it has no thorns, the leaves are very fine and don't suffocate anything below. It's shade is dappled and best of all it has a tap root so it doesn't interfere with any plants below it. I purchased two many years ago from Miller's Mail Order Nursery (Canandaigua, NY) and had them for 20 years till we sold the house. They're the only thing I miss about that house. One tree was the usual green form, the other was golden. I've since planted one at my new house but it will be several years before it reaches a nice size. I may get some more (and larger ones) for the back yard.
My nemesis here are black walnuts. A downright evil tree. The shade from it is dense, it's very late to leaf out and the first to drop it's leaves. Before that it has messed the place up with these long tendrils that drop en mass and after that it throws heavy walnuts at you and your plants. Everytime there is a violet storm I say a prayer one of those trees will be taken out!
Have that tree stump yanked out by someone with chains and a tractor! instant gratification

:P

MollyD
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

I am really leaning towards a honey locust. We will see when the trees start coming up for sale around here. And BTW Jim--I didn't mean how much your shade structure cost--that would be tacky :-? I meant How High is it :lol: :lol: OOPS. I think we will have to do something like this and plant the trees near and wait for them to fill in my shady needs!! (have to say I liked the cost estimate though)
Thanks for all the advice. I am hoping that the product I used will at least have been taken down into the root zone--someone suggested the 20 minute window of opportunity and I had it on within 10. The stupid branches were blooming yesterday but are on a fine pile today.
I will never regret removing the tree and hopefully with lots of water and some man made shade. I can continue expanding in the area of my old nemisis.
jgh

Post by jgh »

Sorry, Maid... I knew what you meant, but forgot to answer it.

I put the $ figure in so your husband can overcome the sticker shock of looking at those "designer models" and relax... you can do the whole thing with treated 2x4s so its not a huge investment... and, yes... you could plant trees with the plan to remove it later.

I think I ended up about 8 1/2 feet above grade... and the shade cloth goes over the top and is cinched tight, so there's not much sag.

The shade cloth cost about $33 plus I bought some clips to provide the attachments around the edge... Lumber was about $100... So you can build a 12x20 shelter - which actually shades a larger area than that given the path of the sun during the day... for under $150.

So... when are you and DH going to come over and check it out?!
New Topic Post Reply