Notes on growing in pots? (Solberg)---Hosta college)

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

:o :o Wait!! :eek:

It's on a need-to-know-basis - and he doesn't need to know just yet. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

newbies :roll:

[we were all there once] :wink:

:P
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

Lots of good info guys. I am potting up a few for this spring just to save my back from making a new bed.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Charla

If you have clay soil I would mix it up a bit with some grit for drainage and some potting mix for holding water in the pot... and then with some alfalfa and fertilizer.

Flowerchild, if you do not have very heavy clay- start up a lasagna bed :D

I agree Reldon.. Thinking of some very old postings with excuses for bying hostas and some white lies about how many ... the differnt stories were extreme - and very funny :wink:
Like no, honey- I only bought 3 hostas- I was so good - kis, kiss -- and not a word about the prices at those 3 very special hostas ...
Are any one still using those strategies :-?

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Renaldo, that is so funny, I laughed out loud for about 2 minutes! I am really glad no one else is home, cuz I couldn't stop! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pia - whatever do you mean? (he,he) :wink:

Thanks, everybody! :cool:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
malaprop

Post by malaprop »

Planted a few hostas in wire cages......the experiment didn't turn out so well......they may have escaped the voles, but not the sharp wire.......
Attachments
hostacagexx.JPG
hostacagexx.JPG (50.59 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
malaprop

Post by malaprop »

Much soil washed away, always wanted tulips, but cage collapsed inward and too small.
Attachments
yellowtulipincage.jpg
malaprop

Post by malaprop »

So I just planted dozens of early tulips in pots last fall, and will remove the pots when they're done and just treat them as annuals..... fmuch easier and for the first time in my life I've been able to enjoy tulips!
Attachments
tulipsinpotsx.JPG
tulipsinpotsx.JPG (44.38 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Nice flower pictures every body

Post by oldcoot »

Did someone say something about growing Hostas in pots ?? How about in a 30 gallon tub ?? Been there five years, was originally in the bird bath. Got too large, lifted it (actually I turn the bird bath over and DUMPED it out on the deck in early spring) Divided it, put 1/2 in the tub, and half in he yard, and put a new one in the bird bath. Wanted to do that this spring but waited too log. Didn't have any one to help me..

It put put Beautiful Blooms in the fall. Now if OC can stay on his feet, maybe he can get some nice pictures of them this fall....

OC saying enjoy one tub full of Hosta.....
Attachments
TubHosta 03-06.jpg
TubHosta 03-06.jpg (34.91 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

That's really pretty, OC, looks healthy, too! :D
Charla
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Charla, that is how I feel now also! I am going to redo my beds, but I just dreaded putting them back in the ground and watching the critters and hot sun just beat them up. This way I can keep them where ever I want, move them for less or more sun, and keep them away from the deer and gophers! They are just beautiful now and I want to keep them that way :D I may never plant in the ground again :lol: :lol: (just teasing) (sort of)

Ginger
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I kinda know what you mean, Ginger. I brought my dozen out of the greenhouse that wintered over last fall as they didn't get planted...they look so perfect! No tears in the leaves, no dirt splashed up on them....hmmmmm! :D :roll: :D
Charla
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

But, not all of them love pots, many places pots have to be moved inside a shed or turned on the side for winther protection, they have to be repotted every 3 or 4 years and watered as a nut, then you have the pots who crack during the winther.. I have lots of hostas in all sorts of pots from 2 inches to several gallon- like them, but feel rather sure most hostas like to have their roots spred out like in the natyre instead of turning down and round like in a pot

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply