What would you do??

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Here are a few of mine that are up. Taken yesterday afternoon when it was 72.
Attachments
Kiwi Black Magic that I covered with soil about 10 days ago after I cleared away leaves & scapes - I guess I should have added more...
Kiwi Black Magic that I covered with soil about 10 days ago after I cleared away leaves & scapes - I guess I should have added more...
montana Aureomarginata - always one of the 1st to get started
montana Aureomarginata - always one of the 1st to get started
Stiletto - they all look pretty much like this one
Stiletto - they all look pretty much like this one
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

What would I do?

Post by thehostagourmet »

I'd get out the 5 gallon pails to cover them. Last night it was 25 degrees! Tonight the same.

George
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

George, do the pails covering them work even when the temps get that low? We are supposed to have some upper 20's next week... :(
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Pails

Post by thehostagourmet »

Charla, my theory is that it keeps the frost from forming on the leaves, which when the sun hits them (which it won't because they're covered by the pails) damages the leaves. That's why sprinkling them before the sun comes up, or keeping the sprinklers on overnight as in commercial orange groves, etc. minimizes the damage.

All of this buys you a few degrees, I think. I even use large 1-4 gallon black plastic pots held down by rocks in a pinch, if I'm feeling very energetic.

George
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Then I guess it's a good thing I never throw a pot away unless it's broken.....
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I have lots of pots, too, renaldo, and now I'm glad!!! ...but many of my hostas are too big for most of them this year. I was really excited about that a few days ago... :wink: I wonder if buckets would work better because they have no holes in them. They may help keep the temp up by holding in ground temp. I can always go raid my husband's shop for his paint buckets....he'll love that! :lol:

I just saw the weather forecast for next week, and it looks like they are moderating their predicitions upward, but realistically, we are at least several weeks away from the frost free dates. If the temps do cool down, though, it may slow down the hostas' leafing out. Ohhh, so much stress! :lol:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

As nice as the temps have been, I won't mind spring slowing down here at all. 50's would do me just fine for a few more weeks & then a gradual climb up starting in May. But anymore what we have is a couple days of spring followed 2 days later by temps in the 80's for a few days if not a whole week. Usually it happens when my tulips just start blooming so that after a week the 1st ones are shot. :roll: Our last frost date here is May 15th unless that's changed since they upped our zone.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Looks like everybody has Hostas

Post by oldcoot »

Starting to get worried about mine in the yard, b ut we got a NICED rain last night and this morning. First one in a month. Went from swamp to bone ddfry in thee weeks.

OC will post psictures of some of his Hosta's under his group
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Temps in the 80' :eek:

59 = 15 C or so here and it more than enought for everything to be a month ahead
Nights say something like 35 = 2 C but it is in 7 or 8 feet hight. I had frost on the grass yesterday

piling them up with grit or garden soil when you see the first noses do help to stop them a bit- compost makess heat and can do it al worse

Wanda we did start it once- but think we never finished it

Good luck to all of you... and to me too :lol: :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply