Hostas emerging 2" deep

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
mrhosta

Hostas emerging 2" deep

Post by mrhosta »

I peeked at a couple of hostas yesterday and the crowns seemed to be 2" below ground level. I didnt plant them this way, but are now. Is this ok or should I remove some soil from the top or redig them and plant them closer to the top?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

If it is a miniature variety it might need to be adjusted a little, but if it is a medium to large sized variety then I wouldn't bother it. Hostas will adjust to their preferred depth rather quickly. Some like to be only about 1/2 to 1" below the soil - others like to be 1 to 2" below the soil, and the giants seem to settle out a bit deeper than that - sometimes I've seen them grow best at 3 to 4 inches deep.

The thing to remember is that hostas can adjust to a deep depth easier than they can adjust to a shallow one. They can grow UP in a single season to establish their preferred depth (which varies from hosta to hosta) but they can take years to correct from being planted too shallow.

So basically I wouldn't bother them. :)

Hope that helps.

Chris
New Topic Post Reply