Pic of the Day--Gold Edger

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Gold Edger

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--When I bought Gold Edger back in 1993 I probably thought I was buying the "small gold one" to go with the "green one" and the "green and white" one. It has been a nice plant, chugging along year after year, fending off the occasional slug attack and exhibiting a good growth rate. This plant has never seen direct sun in its garden spot and is more chartreuse than gold. Plants growing in more sun have color more in keeping with the name. Our plant has been divided several times and each time it has quickly come back to a size right in line with Zilis' listing of 13x38. This variety might be at its best when used as an edger or in a mass planting.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... ld%20Edger

MyHostas - http://www.myhostas.be/db/hostas/Gold+Edger

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/g/goldedger.html
Gold Edger 6-26-06c.jpg
Gold Edger 6-26-06c.jpg (53.14 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

'Gold Edger'

Post by thehostagourmet »

Hank, I'm very partial to yellow Hostas, but to me they look better in more sun. Some may disagree. I've had that argument about which 'Gold Standard' looks better, the one in shade or the one in sun.

Do you have 'Gold Drop' too?

George
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

No Gold Drop. :(
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
impatience

Post by impatience »

If this works...........

Gold Edger is on the left and Gold Drop is on the right (except the end one on the right is GE)
Gold Edger and Gold Drop
Gold Edger and Gold Drop
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
jgh

Post by jgh »

Have you ever noticed how the yellow hostas of this type will have a kind-of bluish tinge for part of the season? Somebody explained it to me once, but it didn't really register.

Anyway, Aden registered GE back in 1978 as a hybrid of Blue Cadet x Gold Cadet, so it's got some blue in its heritage. I got mine probably about the same time as Hank... far enough back that I don't even have the year recorded, just the note that it cost a whopping $3. I've given and sold probably a dozen divisions, so I guess I got my money's worth.

That being said, this is kind of a ho-hum hosta. I think newer introductions have reduced this to a ground cover / edging / mass planting hosta, as Hank suggested in his description. Zilis describes it as similar to Gold Drop... another hosta I think of as ho-hum. GD is actually a grandparent of GE and I can't tell them apart.

But, as always, we have to give credit where credit is due. GE has given us some pretty darn good "children." (As for Gold Drop... its children and grandchildren have added a lot to the hosta world - but that's for a different day!)

Zilis lists Gold Edger Supreme and Gold Edger Surprise as sports from his own nursery... and then describes them as "collector's curiosity of dubious value." Hank gave me a GES that has settled in nicely by my coffee deck - verdict is still out.

Zilis also lists Olympic Edger from Naylor, greenish yellow with a thin creamy white margin and Zilis' own Radiant Edger, a fine hosta, green with yellow margins with strong contrast.
Radiant Edger closeup rdcd.JPG
Radiant Edger closeup rdcd.JPG (51.85 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
Radiant Edger rdcd.JPG
S15 05 Gold Edger rdcd.JPG
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Here's Olympic Edger, 2nd year . . . .
Attachments
OlympicEdger 7.JPG
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I've got both Gold Edger & Gold Drop. The Gold Edger seems to have 'stiffer' petioles & more substance than Gold Drop. Gold Drop has a more relaxed look if that make sense.

My Gold Edger never grew a whole lot where I had it so I moved it away from crab apple roots & into more sun. Radiant Edger went with it. Can't wait to see if they like it better this year. :P

And I've got to say that it sure is nice to be able to see Jim's pics again. :D Even when I could see some of Hank's pics, I was only rarely able to see Jim's [and others].
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
New Topic Post Reply