Fertilizer??

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
playinmud

Fertilizer??

Post by playinmud »

What should I use on my hostas? I've never fertilized them, and think they might need a good feeding. I'd like something in dry form that I could sprinkle around that's time released (I'm not a good one to brew alfalfa tea and pour that around). What should the Nitrogen-phosphorus-potash be? Also, when is best to start feeding them?

(Sorry for all the questions, hopefully you all will take pity on me and share your wealth of knowledge/experience).

Thanks in advance, Donna
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Donna--Call up your local County Extension Agent and ask abut having a soil sample tested. They will give you instructions on the best way to gather the sample. They will charge about $12-15 for the test which will tell you exactly how much and what nutrients your soil might need for the kind of gardening you do. If you don't get this done, anything you will do will just be a guess.

A slow release is probably best but the Agent could also advise you on that, based on the test results.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

we also discussed this topic on this post, now a few pages back (you all were busy while I was away for a few days!)

David
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Thanks for the info Hank, definitely something I'll look into here.

David I really appreciate you attaching that thread. I don't know how I missed it. What a great read. Looks like fermented alfalfa is the "tea" of gardener's choice. But I must say I was a little concerned about the recommendation to use milorganite. Presenting heavy metals into my garden with this is a concern of mine.

Thanks to you both,
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Heavy metals

Post by thehostagourmet »

Donna, we will accept no slurs of Led Zeppelin. :lol:

George
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

:D :D :D :D