Does anyone else have 'Ebb Tide'??

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
renaldo75

Does anyone else have 'Ebb Tide'??

Post by renaldo75 »

I have it & so far it's just showing a single eye emerging again this year. It's been in the same spot since May 2003. Last year it was a tall, gorgeous one division plant. It finally had enough flecks of green in the cream margin to be noticeable. :cool: And it looked great all season long. :P

But I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever increase. :-? So if anyone else has some experience with this one - please share its growth rate & anything else you've noticed about it.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... Ebb%20Tide
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Ebb+Tide
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/e/ebbtide.html
'Ebb Tide' yesterday - a little bit taller than its parent H. montana 'Aureomarginata'
'Ebb Tide' yesterday - a little bit taller than its parent H. montana 'Aureomarginata'
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I have it but divided it early and had it growing in a poor location so can't say much about the performance. This year may tell me more.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks, Dave - this one has never had anything to divide unless I did some rossisizing. :wink: LOL
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
hummingbird
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by hummingbird »

Hi Reldon,

I have this one and it's one of my favorites. Been a decent grower for me, much more so in speed than Mont Aureomarginata . This pic was taken yesterday and so far has 11 eyes emerging. I have dug up and potted several of the hostas because of the heat we've been experiencing they are waking up, and its way too early. Of course this morning wake up to like a foot of snow and it's still falling :evil: . So they are inside safe and sound for now.
Where I had it planted before moving was in an open shade area with average moisture/soil. The link here on my website shows a few pics of it from last year in spring.
http://www.rachelshostas.com/Hostas_E_H.html

Maybe yours is just a poor one, or not liking where it's at for some reason. I hope others can chime in on how it is for them to compare and see what's going on here.
Ebb Tide as of March 28th 2007
Ebb Tide as of March 28th 2007
"Friends are as elusive as rainbows"
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

:o :o Yours was just gorgeous last year, Rachel!! 8-) Stunning!! Sounds like your experience with mont. Aureo & Ebb Tide are the opposite of mine. My mont. Aureo has always done well for me.

I'm glad you're able to protect your early risers. We may get more rain from your snowstorm, but it's not here yet.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
hummingbird
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by hummingbird »

Well hope you don't get too much wrath from our weather Reldon....a real downer after seeing so much nice weather I tell ya. Got a greenhouse delivered yesterday, just a whole lot of assembly required :o , with the early risers and hostas arriving only way to keep them going until late may without getting nipped bad.
My Mont Aureomarginata, is growing nicely, but it just took it's sweet time over the yrs to get there in comparison to Ebb Tide. Funny how they can grow so differant for other folks.
"Friends are as elusive as rainbows"
jgh

Post by jgh »

Mine was a tc in 2002... plopped it into the garden and here it is in 2005...

I didn't know it is supposed to have speckles in the margin! I just thought it was cool looking...

just looked it up in Zilis... he says

1997 (Eslager) gold-margined, green-centered sport of montana 'Aureomarginata', a very wavy, crinkled margin; mottled streaks often present.
Ebb Tide.JPG
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

Gosh, gotta get me one of those! I just love the ones with speckles, mottling or misting. Really nice wavy edges, too.

wanda
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Here is one of my leaves from last year in mid-August. I definitely need to get pics earlier in the season this year!!

Jim - I never really noticed the green flecks in mine until last year. They were probly there, but not as noticeable to me [or more likely I just never noticed them... :oops: ]

Rachel - I just need a 'dome' that I can activate over my yard when the temps start dropping. :wink: Too much to dig up here to put in pots.
040 Ebb Tide.jpg
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
ademink

Post by ademink »

I'll be jamming stakes in the yard and hauling out the sheets next week on Wed. and Thurs. nights...ugh! :evil:

My Ebb Tide is like yours, Renaldo - one HUGE eye coming up right now and it's about 6" tall. Mine was new at the beginning of Spring last year but I was hoping for at least a second eye!
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
Papou

Ebb Tide

Post by Papou »

I got mine in 2005 with 4 eyes and it grew to 9"H x 17"W.
Last year it added one eye and grew to 11"x25"
Here's a small pic...reduced...

Papou
Ebb Tide (reduced).JPG
Ebb Tide (reduced).JPG (28.93 KiB) Viewed 3963 times
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

I started with 1st year TC's in 2002 and last year was up to 6-8 divisions (guessing). I love the speckled edge!

renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

That is a gorgeous pic, Josh!! :o :o :cool:

I just looked it up on my spreadsheet to see where I got mine. I'm guessing it would have been a 2nd year TC in 2003. [I think she gets her hostas from Shady Oaks.] It looked great as a single division plant last year. :P So I wasn't really complaining - just curious. LOL It may decide to add another eye one of these years. I'll enjoy it as it is til then.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Ebb Tide

Post by Marlys »

Reldon,

Ebb Tide has done well for me. Is yours getting strangled by the crab tree? I wasn't too impressed with ET until last year. It was wonderful and now a (you guessed it) my favorite! Mine had the flecking too. I think Trudy gave the plant to me a few years back.

I don't really see that it is so 'the same' as MA, but then my MA gets lots of sunshine. It actually got smaller last year. But as you know, there is some serious crowding going on in my gardens.

Hope to see you soon @ the spring ROHS mtg. I'll be saving you a seat.

Eyes are up all over the place here & some are beginnig the 'unfurling' . I suppose they will all get frozen before the real spring arrives. Boo! Hoo!

Connie has tulips in bloom. Mine might have been too but the deer have decided my front yard is their evening meal buffet. So much so, infact, that I had to put a heavy metal egg basket over 'Yoshie' as I owe it to Jamie as the winner from the AHS on-line auction. Can you imagine recieving a half-eaten hosta as your prize plant! :eek:

MM
New Topic Post Reply