OC's 07 Hosta

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Sure to post this

Post by oldcoot »

Jut so you can see :-? :-? :-? :-? The first picture was right after the freeze. The second was made this afternoon,
So you can see there IS a ray of hope. This is the same hosta shown above after several weeks of 85* weather.

Cruel Old Weather Man got OC 's Hostas.
Attachments
A ray of Hope -07 Deck.jpg
A ray of Hope -07 Deck.jpg (35.84 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
Boo-Hoo- Deck 07.jpg
Boo-Hoo- Deck 07.jpg (37.11 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:o Oh John........ :(

When I was out with the pup this afternoon after work, I saw that I had a few that were just up and now they are mush....I thought of Reldon.... :(

I don't know if I should say.....thanks for sharing... :roll:

(((John)))
oldcoot

That's fine

Post by oldcoot »

Seems an early spring wasn't too good for us was it ?? :D :D but then again as we in the gardening business like to say, There is always next year...........OC NOT SMILING.
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
oldcoot

Thank you Miss Lucy

Post by oldcoot »

You are two much. You sent me the Paradigm last week, and it was so big, I cut it into several, pieces and each seems to be really doing well. Right now they are in pots on my Deck where I can keep them watered until next week when Michael comes back. He and his family are at the beach this week-end on vacation . Put them in some really good dirt and they are unfurling nicely.

Then, and then, I heard a knock on the door this morning and saw I had a small package. Thought it was the new battery I had ordered for my Camera, old one had gotten to where it would not hold a charge for very long, but when I looked at the label, I was astounded, IT WAS FROM CHRIS. Our Miss Lucy had had Chris send OC some MORE Hostas for his deck. OC is so appreciative of this Lucy, and he will take good care of them......

THANK YOU MISS LUCY....................You made OC's day...
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Yipppppeeeee!!! I am so glad it made your day!!! :P And in return, THAT makes MY day!!!!!! :P I felt bad that you couldn't do the hosta trade, so I called our fearless leader and had Chris send some mini's..... :cool:

Love ya Coot!!! :P :wink:
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Very nice, Lucy!! :P

Congratulations on your hosta package, OC!! :cool: Those minis should do great in a planter on your porch where you can enjoy them up close all the time. :P
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
oldcoot

Another wonderful surprise

Post by oldcoot »

When I got up to go to lunch, I saw out on the front porch, I had too MORE packages. One WAS my Tripod, thank you Lord and Wally World. but the second was a stunner.

NOW I know why I love my Hallson family so much. They are so good to me.

Bruce and Trudy, that was the sweetest note you sent me and was deeply appreciated. What they also sent me was some MORE mini hostas. AND NOT the same ones Lucy sent either. Thank you all so much. Now that he has a tripod again, it will will be a Hosta picture taking good time. We were starting to get a little rain, thank YOU Lord. So I didn't get a chance to write down the names but all had tags, so tomorrow I'll you what OC got....and add it to his Hosta List

I had enough good dirt still on the deck from planting Lucy's that I could plant these also. GREAT TIMING folks. The good Lord always waters better than we do...

You'll never know how appreciative OC is about receiving these. Miss Joy said now I won't have to hear about your dead Hostas any more. I smiled and said That's right...
But she too was so appreciative of every body sending me some new ones today.................GREAT FAMILY........OC
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Very :cool: OC!! :P Trudy is a sweetheart!! And Bruce is a pretty good guy.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
oldcoot

They sure are Reynaldo

Post by oldcoot »

The good Lord must have approved of them too. Started raining :D :D :D yesterday afternoon, rained all night. and is STILL raining. A nice slow gentle rain Took a quick peek this morning and they all looked good. Lucy, the first ones you sent me are really unfurling. Looks like it is going to be a biggie.......THANKS EVERYBODY. OC LOVES YOU......
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Old Coot........so glad that you liked the hostas.

The good Lord has blessed us with many hostas, it feels so good to share them, and glad you can enjoy them.

Enjoy your rain he has sent to you also.

Thanks, Renaldo for the kind words...........

P.S. Renaldo is a "Sweetheart"also, he's great and fun to be with, especially on a hosta garden tour, or to sit with during a hosta auction!
oldcoot

Regal Splendor (?)

Post by oldcoot »

:-? :-? :-? or what's left of it (OC thinks) all the other leaves froze, this one was under an over hanging rose bush that was clobbered with the freeze and fell over it. When it quits raining, will go out and see if I can find the tag, buried in all those weeds. So many weeds, so little help (and Joy would excommunicate me, if I tried to do it)
Attachments
Surviving Leaf - 07.jpg
oldcoot

New Hosta List

Post by oldcoot »

OC just updated his Hosta list in his journal this afternoon with all the NEW ones he got last week. Still think I missed a few but will check list each time I make PICTURE AND ADD IT .

OC with a great big smile thinking about the Hosta he still could have later in the summer.

In the above Picture I checked today, too wet to go out into the swamp, but on this border was dry enough to ride by. Tag DID say REGAL SPLENDOR. Didn't see an more leaves, just the one.......
oldcoot

Great day for OC today

Post by oldcoot »

Michael did come back, cell phone, walk man and all. Brought his cousin to help him and SHE did as good as he did. (No cell phone) OC is an Equal Opportunity Employer so he paid her the same as him.

Actually got a good bit done. Cleaned out a bed in front of he airconditioner that was over grown with weeds 6'Tall. (Started to give Michael a flag so I could see where he was -he's short) After that we took all the new Hosta OC got last week and DID plant all of the in the yard. The Minni's up front, and tall ones in the back.

This bed was the one I had all those pretty bedding plants in last year. Just to hard to keep up with. Now that the trees have completely leafed back out (Thank YOU Lord) they will be in semi shade all day, exept late afternoon when the sun starts getting lower and comes in under the leaves. Was wonderful dirt there because last year we had replaced it, and with the big rain we had, was nice and damp...

Today they are all in the yard...ALL OF THEM....
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Sounds good, OC!! :P
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
oldcoot

Finally have some descent Hosta Pictures to show you

Post by oldcoot »

that aren't frozen or distorted. They are some of the new ones OC has gotten over the past few weeks.
The Paradigm and the Limey Lisa are from Miss Lucy
and Chris I slight you (didn't mean too) Christ added a Grand Tiarra to Lucy gift box. OC loves his Hallson Family....
These were taken on OC's Deck he rest are in the Yard already. WIll photograph tomorrow and post as soon as edited.

Thanks everybody..a most appreciative OC
Attachments
Hosta Grnd Tiarra-Chris.jpg
Hosta Grnd Tiarra-Chris.jpg (39.7 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
Hosta LimeyLisa - Lucy.jpg
Hosta LimeyLisa - Lucy.jpg (28.81 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
Hosta Paradigm DPD.jpg
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Those are sure lookin good, OC!! :D
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
oldcoot

Well, finally, some GOOD news about God's Hostas at OC's

Post by oldcoot »

The ones you wonderful people sent me, are all in the yard now with the Minni's up front of OC's new Hosta Bed. Yep, he has a new one.(He guesses that means he is REALLY addicted). He cleaned out the old Bedding Plant Bed (Took two kids 4 hours to get all the weeds out) and they planted all the new Hosta that OC has received recently, Will try to post pictures of them as rapidly as I can and say a great big thank you for them. The name for the new Bed is one I borrowed from this group (hope you don' mind Hank) It is now OC's Hallson Friendship Bed. And this week-end we are going to move all the Hosta he has in a border in front his deck out there with them tags and all. These are the ones he either bought from Chris, or were give to him in the Hosta trades he participated in, and the ones Reynaldo so generously sent him last spring.

Chris I didn't mean to slight you, I really didn't. I got so excited when I read you note, I never bothered to read the packing slip. And A GREAT BIG THANK YOU to you too for The Nice Grand Tiarra

OC is hog heaven - he just got in from watering them....
Attachments
Hosta Grnd Tiarra-Chris.jpg
Hosta Grnd Tiarra-Chris.jpg (39.7 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
Hosta LimeyLisa - Lucy.jpg
Hosta LimeyLisa - Lucy.jpg (28.81 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
Paradigm-Lucy.jpg
Paradigm-Lucy.jpg (42.37 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
New Topic Post Reply