Haven't noticed anyone anouncing they have "eyes"

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Justme

Haven't noticed anyone anouncing they have "eyes"

Post by Justme »

But I don't get on the computer that much anymore. Anyway, I have about 1/3 of my hostas eyes showing!! I was starting spring clean up last weekend and noticed a few up, but in just 3 or 4 day, WOW. I guess 80 degrees will do that. One even is large enought to start unfurling leaves, and it wasn't visible last weekend :o

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
wzbt03

Eyes

Post by wzbt03 »

They are starting to peek through.
Not an exciting hosta but I have one Lancefolia that has over 100 eyes up about 1/2 inch already.
Attachments
eyes.jpg
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Tami
But I don't get on the computer that much anymore
- seems to be right :lol:

It have been the main topic for weeks... we all love it- and are scared about it

HUGS

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Tami!!

Now that I walk with the new dog, I am out more, and I also have bunches of hosta eyes!! I also have a bunch of weeds! :evil: Nice to see you again!! :D
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

It worries me too. It's a little early! There will still be many nights of frost and probably SNOW yet. :???:
John

Post by John »

Here in zone 6/7 (now 7) NJ there are some early hostas starting to show eyes, especially plantaginea and family. They will start coming along rapidly very soon.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

I was checking out Gunsmoke just a couple of days ago and thrilled that in its 3rd (leap) yean in my gerden it went from 1 massive eye last year to 9 eyes so far this year! :o

Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

eyes?? eyes?? did you say eyes?? :)
Attachments
hostaeyes.JPG
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

whis4ey wrote:eyes?? eyes?? did you say eyes?? :)
Nice compost! :cool:
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

:lol: I like the way Alexa numbered those eyes for us! :lol: One to nine eyes is pretty impressive. :wink:

I guess we just haven't started the usual "I HAVE EYES" post this year. I've seen it mentioned many times in other posts though. I think lots of us are kinda worried ,because the eyes are showing up a lot sooner than in previous years. And ,depending on where you live, that could mean lots of damage with the late frosts. I saw an eye of Choo Choo Train coming up last week and that's about two weeks too early for here. :( I think April 5th was the earliest I have ever seen hosta eyes around my home. I'm going to just keep my fingers and toes crossed and hope for the best. :???:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

:lol:
That was my home made compost last year
It improved the hostas no end :)
These are the same 'eyes' taken just a few moments ago
Attachments
DSC00809.JPG
Last edited by whis4ey on Mar 30, 2007 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
Minnow
USDA Zone: 6
Location: Henderson County 35 19' 12.15" N 82 35' 40.40" W Elevation2143

Post by Minnow »

:o :o :o :o :o Here in Western North Carolina I have not only eyes up, but many unfurled! :o :o :o :o

Fire Island is so bright it çould blind you! Choo Choo Train is also putting on a good show. AM is up, Gunsmoke with 22 eyes,& all the usual earlies.

Pic to come later! I am getting ready to go hosta hunting at Jones NUrsery & also We-Du for trees & shrubs. I can't wait to get my hands on Cercis canadensis" "Ace of Heart" .

Gotta run!
Elizabeth

No man needs a vacation as bad as the man who has just had one.
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

Could be because it is far too early for them to be safely peeking out, causing more of a shrieking “OH, GOD, NOOOOOOO!” response than a “yippee”.

Here, even when they come up in mid/late April it is too early and I end up regularly covering/uncovering until the second week in June!!!

wanda
MikeWI

Post by MikeWI »

a few of mine are barely poking throught, only those that lifted or have been planted too shallow. Happy to not see them yet, we've cooled of nicely again.
Mike
Milwaukee
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

just the two in my head which is fine for now - we always seem to get a good snow in april

if the weather holds for long i expect to see some soon but i am keeping my fingers crossed
sugar

Post by sugar »

I have only 4 plants (out of +- 70) left that don't show noses yet...

Stiletto, Calypso, Roller Coaster Ride and Red Dragoon have already unrolled their leaves.

No frost announced for the coming week, let's hope there won't be frost afterwards...
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

At this point it's looking like close to 50% are showing so far here. :o :eek:
Lancifolia is close to unfurling already. I'd prefer they waited but my control over the situation is minimal at best.

And to show just how neurotic this hostaholic can be: while I was out weeding the one side of last year's holding bed that I could reach, I saw about 1/3 showing eyes already. So a couple of the ones that aren't showing yet I have to do a little digging to make sure are ok. :roll: :???: :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

I've about about 1/2 or more of my plants showing eyes. I have two plants that are thinking about unfurling...boy I hope they wait. Just looked at the forcast for next week...cold...low's in 20's...drats.

Stephanie
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

tsneal wrote:I've about about 1/2 or more of my plants showing eyes. I have two plants that are thinking about unfurling...boy I hope they wait. Just looked at the forcast for next week...cold...low's in 20's...drats.

Stephanie
I hear ya. :roll:
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I knew this was too good to last for long... :???:

Lows predicted are 32 on Wed, 27 on Thurs, & 30 on Fri with highs about 45 those days. 45 is the low temp on Tues. Guess I'll be rounding up all my pots & bricks & getting them in position the 1st part of the week. It rained most of the nite last nite starting a little after midnight.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
New Topic Post Reply