Saw these sports today - should I get any tomorrow AM??

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
ademink

Saw these sports today - should I get any tomorrow AM??

Post by ademink »

I was at a local nursery and found these today:

Dancing in the Rain

Marked Allegan Fog but what is this???? Ok, this pic is awful but it looks just like a bigger version of Lakeside Zinger...there were 3 that looked like this. All a light creamy color w/ the entire leaf speckled...no border.

This was marked Center of Attention...a sport or a mismark? I'm guessing a mismark but of what?

Thanks for taking the time to look! :) The "Allegan Fog" it the one that really caught my eye but maybe it's not unusual...?

Andrea
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

I would definitely grab the one marked Allegan Fog, that is cool!

The would probably pass on the DITR, and I don't know what ot say on the last.... I'm sure others will have opinions!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

I would also pass on the DITR. It will likely revert back to a single color or to the normal DITR; it looks unstable and unattractive. The second one looks like it may be a very weak plant so price would determine whether I would want to play with it. The third one is unimpressive.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
hummingbird
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by hummingbird »

If it were me I'd only pick up the 2nd one marked Allegan Frog,... like Vik said it may be weak, but I'd take the chance to see what comes of it, that's just mho of course. Good luck, I know it's so fun to sport hunt. :P
edited cuz of scrambled fingers :roll:
"Friends are as elusive as rainbows"
ademink

Post by ademink »

Sounds good! Those were my "gut instincts" and sounds like you all agree! :) I'll get some good pics when I bring it home today!

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

The Allegan Fog plant might be a sport without the outer green margins. If it greens up later like the center of Allegan Fog normally does then it might have some vigor to it.

Dancing in the Rain is from Blue Umbrellas so those two are just trying to revert back to the parent. Buy Blue Umbrellas if you want one of those.

And if you bought the last one it would forever bug you trying to figure out what it was. Trust me, I've done it before and won't do it again :lol:
ademink

Post by ademink »

LOL...I'll trust you and won't do it, Chris! :D I think I'm going to snag the Allegan Fog one. This one was as large as the AF's that were coming up so at this point, it appears to be at least as vigourous as the others. It's 10.00, which isn't cheap, but not crazy expensive either. Ok, off to sport hunt...be back w/ pic in a while! :bd:

My Hosta List
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

All good advice. I'd pick up that Allegan Fog myself, but leave the other two behind. A while back I might have purchased the last one if I thought it was pretty or unique enough, even if I didn't know what it truly was, but now it would drive me nuts not to know!! :lol:
I hope the AF turns out to be strong and something special. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I never have any luck sport hunting in Omaha [or anywhere else] & discovered why last summer when I visited Tony Wong's garden. [He's the guy who used to do the Hosta Calendars.] He hunts for sports at the local hosta places 2 or 3 times a week. :o I don't stand a chance since I only get out there once or twice in a season. :???:

I'll just have to live vicariously thru all of you guys who don't have to drive 2 hours to get somewhere. :wink: :lol:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
New Topic Post Reply