Pics of Allegan Fog sport (?)

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
ademink

Pics of Allegan Fog sport (?)

Post by ademink »

Ok, here is the mystery hosta that was in w/ the Allegan Fog at the nursery I went to today and marked as such. It looks like Lakeside Zinger but much bigger.

Is it something "special" or is it just a hosta that I don't know the name of that exists already? :)

Thanks!

Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
wzbt03

My guess

Post by wzbt03 »

Looks like Lakeside Zing Zang to me.
ademink

Post by ademink »

Oops...that's what I meant...Zing Zang. :) It's pretty big though...already about 4-5" leaves. Isn't that too big for Zing Zang? They had Zing Zang there but it was just coming up.

My Hosta List
ademink

Post by ademink »

Well well well...I just found a description and it IS Lakeside Zing Zang!!! It looks like it was just started earlier than the other ones. I can't believe it!!! It not even listed in the hosta finder and is 85-100 dollars online! WHOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

My Hosta List
ademink

Retracting the "whoohoooo" lol

Post by ademink »

Ok, never mind....I'm calming down now. :lol: :lol: Josh Spece just enlightened me that it is quite likely 'Mountain Mist', which is a sport of Allegan Fog. Makes perfect sense, eh? :D

My Hosta List
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

LOL! Take my word for what it's worth...not much!!

LZZ is a sport of L. Zinger and LZ leaves only reach about 3-4" long. LZZ wouldn't be any bigger...likely smaller. So based on size, I'd say it's more likely an AF sport. You should be able to tell for sure in a year or two, if it grows well...I bet it will.

BUT! Technically, it should be considered a completely different sport than any that are already named.

Now...you say there were more like this???? :P :P :P
ademink

Post by ademink »

roflol...calming down. ha! Ok, so even if it looks the same as Mountain Mist and it appears to be from Allegan Fog...it would technically be a sport that I found (for lack of a better way to put it)?

I don't get it. And yes, there are more. I'm going to get them now...LOL

My Hosta List
JoshS

Post by JoshS »

ademink wrote:it would technically be a sport that I found (for lack of a better way to put it)?
Yes. The problem with sticking the name Mountain Mist on it is that there could be differences between the two...however slight they may be. You plant could turn out to be a poor grower compared to MM. Or your plant could have shorter/taller flower scapes...whatever. You would want to grow them side by side and look carefully for differences before assuming the sports are identical. Even then, there could be genetic differences that we can't see.
ademink

Post by ademink »

Ahhh, I get it. So if I'm "serious" about calling it "my" sport, I need to get a MM and grow them for a few years and then if it's different...name it Ricky Bobby, right? :lol:

My Hosta List
allnitro

Post by allnitro »

:lol: 'Shake and Bake' :lol:
JEFF
ademink

Post by ademink »

:lol: ROFL! :lol:

My Hosta List
JoshS

Post by JoshS »

Right!
ademink

Post by ademink »

Ok, I tried to go to the nursery and get them but they are closed. I'm picking up the other sports like this tomorrow and I'm going to build my empire! LOL I will then order MM and see if I have actually found something worth registering and calling my own! :beer: Thanks for your help, Josh. :) I'll keep you posted!

My Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hi! Beautiful hosta! BTW, how are your baby hostas doing? Haven't heard about them for awhile...I was wondering.... :-?
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

They are the coolest :cool: no matter how It turns out in the end. Nothing out in our nurseries yet--maybe in a couple of weeks. Nice shopping!!!
Cheryl
ademink

Post by ademink »

Thanks Cheryl! :)

Charla, thanks for asking about the seedlings. I just posted some updated pics on the forum! I'm excited about some. It will be so fun to see them get mature!

I'm really REALLY bad about fertilizing them. I think they'd be twice as big if I did. :lol: I need to get with the program!!!

My Hosta List
ademink

Post by ademink »

Ok, went and picked up its kinfolk today at the nursery. :lol: I now have 6 of these little pretties! Yippee! :bd:

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply