Purple Pedicles bloomed

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
leafmould

Purple Pedicles bloomed

Post by leafmould »

:P Well, it was purple..as the bud swelled the pedicles slowly turned scarlet. This hybrid seedling opened up last night but I waited to take some pics in natural light this morning. I think this one might be my favourite so far.
This is a seedling where I crossed my best structured foliage with my best flowers.
This flower sparkles with iridescent magenta. Even the white border on the lobes has metallic like sparkles.
A garden friend dropped by this morning and said,
" I wish I could get a peony with that colour"
.. that sounded very strange.
whatdoyouthink ?
Attachments
DSCN4484.JPG
DSCN4530.JPG
Mr. Leafmould
leafmould

Post by leafmould »

:P
Attachments
DSCN4583.JPG
DSCN4585.JPG
Mr. Leafmould
wzbt03

Outstanding

Post by wzbt03 »

Outstanding pictures!

Very cool color.
What do you usually expect when it opens up compared to how it looks just before?
MikeWI

Post by MikeWI »

Request to Leafy... Great flower shot but could you also complement it with a pic of the whole plant?

I must say that your flower 'program' is spectacular. I've never seen such intensity in color in any hosta flower.

have you tried pushing the color gene's into any of the plantigenea?
Mike
Milwaukee
leafmould

Post by leafmould »

WZ, do you have a name ? :P

WZ asks,

Very cool color.
What do you usually expect when it opens up compared to how it looks just before?

Thanks WZ. mostly I don't have a clue :hmm: The outer corona colour/pattern on an unopened bud isn't always indicitive of whats inside. This one really surprized me as the unopened bud showed no white stripe and no red. The red developed as the bud swelled.
When it opened the blend of red and purple made me do a happy dance :lol
:

MikeWI asks,

Request to Leafy... Great flower shot but could you also complement it with a pic of the whole plant?

Sure Mike :P this seedling has a lot going on,

'Korean Snow' x 'Spritzer'
X
'Amethyst Star'
X
'Amethyst Star'
x
'Black Star sis' x Black 'Star'

This seedling is not very big, I post a pic of it and its parents. This should give you an idea of the foliage?shape.

I must say that your flower 'program' is spectacular. I've never seen such intensity in color in any hosta flower.

Thank you Mike, it is so much more to see it with a human eye. A digi can only go so far. The above pics are pretty close though

I have a large family of Plantaginea xBlack Star crosses, all very fragrant. I also have many streaked, dark flowered fragrant hybrids.
I posted earlier' Dark Fragrant' showing a leaf of a Dark fragrant hybrid x A red fragrant hybrid.

This summer I will start to show 'Sweet Darkness' and her evil offspring :eek: :wink:
Thanks for your interest Guys
Mr. Leafmould
ademink

Post by ademink »

Unbelievable color and a beautiful flower shape, as well! Wonderful patience in producing this beauty!

I look forward to seeing the whole plant. :)

Andrea
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
MikeWI

Post by MikeWI »

I have a large family of Plantaginea xBlack Star crosses, all very fragrant. I also have many streaked, dark flowered fragrant hybrids.
I posted earlier' Dark Fragrant' showing a leaf of a Dark fragrant hybrid x A red fragrant hybrid.

Wondering if with the push into plantigenea you are also seeing an increase in the flower size while changing the flower color. It's hard to visualize flower pic size from the detailed shots.
Mike
Milwaukee
leafmould

Post by leafmould »

Hi Mike 8-)
Mike asks,

Wondering if with the push into plantigenea you are also seeing an increase in the flower size while changing the flower color. It's hard to visualize flower pic size from the detailed shots
To give you a size indication, the pedicle on the above bloom is 1 1/4" long.
I have learned to identify markers on very young seedlings that will express the type of flowers I am breeding for...sometimes. Generally, you grow lots. Each grex will bloom indoors around the same time,making it easy to compare. When similar blooms occur, the larger is always chosen. With each generation, the flowers increase in size.
Because of the dark pigment, even a smaller bloom has a bigger visual impact than say, a white Plantaginea bloom.
The biggest hybrid flowers I have, do have plantaginea in the back ground, so yes, plant. has had an affect on flower size. These darker hybrid flowers I have been showing are all bigger than most hosta flowers I see here ( I stopped counting at a thousand cultivars).I have been able to match a comparable flower size to plant, butI have not though been able so far to get a bigger flower than plant. @ 61/4" long.
We were discussing in another post about baby seedling pics. This first pic is the grand father of the above magenta flower.
('Korean Snow' x 'Spritzer') x 'Amethyst Star'

I'll also post a pic of Mom 8-) I am on a dial up so I won't post anymore pics
Attachments
DSCN7192.JPG
DSCN9432.jpg
Mr. Leafmould
leafmould

Post by leafmould »

correction, the last pic is that of the Great grand parent
'K Snow X 'Spritzer' :oops:
Mr. Leafmould
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Those are soooo cool!!! :o
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
MikeWI

Post by MikeWI »

wow, those will make for some very interesting plants in the next couple of years with some maturity... great work.
Mike
Milwaukee
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

1st of all the flower is :o :o :cool: !! A nice surprise when you thought you had a pretty good idea of what it'd be like. Amazing none-the-less!!

It would be so much fun to see you in action when you're hybridizing & down working in the dungeon. :cool: :P I think you need a videographer. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Just amazing! :cool:

Congrats. :P :P
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

That bloom is just stunning!! :o
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply