What's up early !

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
thy
USDA Zone: 7

What's up early !

Post by thy »

We have tried to do a safe and late list years ago, but somehow it was never finished.. we were all playing in the dirt at that time :lol:

So can we turn it around and do a ... these are the early ones list :-?
I will be the same in the end, but I think we are more in the spirit this time of year

Here is my atypical short list for now.. I piled some up in grit late Janury and it stopped them :wink:

Stilletto
crispula
Kiwi Treasure Trove
Undulata Univita
Akzarben
GE

more to come.. but it is dark outside :wink:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Normally the first hosta eyes I see is from my Rasberry Sorbet, but I haven't really "dug" it out yet to see if it has made it's appearance. I did spot eyes from my Choo Choo Train over a week ago. It is planted in the ground. I unearthed all my pots that I had overwintered and I'd say 90% of them are showing eyes. Still way too early here. We may be getting snow on Thursday and Friday with temps at night below freezing. :(
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Nothing here yet, as far as Hostas go....(thank goodness!)
But, I do have tons of stuff up and growing, everything from Delphiniums to Sedums.

An early Hosta everyone always mentions is montana Aureomarginata, but it never gets zapped here, it just comes up when everything else does. I've often wondered if mine has been here so long, it knows better. :lol:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Ya know what? I was out looking today, & I can't tell you how many are up....It seems like they ALL are!! For real! I don't know if that is good or bad....I am NOT doing the *put the pots over them for fear of frost*.....nope, not doing it....Soooo, I really can't name them cause they are all showing.....maybe tomorrow night after work I will go out and write them down.....that is if little Willie will let me...:lol:.... :wink:
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Post by addieotto »

My first one up was Spring Fling. How sweet is that?

Only one eye up so far but it's from Hallson Gardens - so it's not a weeny plant. More to come!

SUE
My hosta blog: http://myhostagardens.com
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Almost all mine are up...Stiletto is completely leafed out. Looks beautiful, but weather people are predictiing below freezing temps 3 nights this week. :???: I'm gettin' out the pots, and anything else I can think of! They are just 3 & 4 years old now and they look like they've really increased in size since last year.
Last edited by eastwood2007 on Apr 02, 2007 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I hope I have enough stuff to cover things, but 3 nights are supposed to be 28! We are south of the metro where they are predicting that, so I am praying the 50 miles makes a difference. Frequently it does. :cry:
Last edited by eastwood2007 on Apr 02, 2007 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charla
Libby

Post by Libby »

Everything is up except for On Stage and Wooly Mammoth and I'm a nervous wreck! I bought some king size, dark green sheets on clearance to use on frost nights, at least the yard will have a coordinated color scheme.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Well just about everything is up here too. I've been out counting eyes for the last couple of days. :roll:

The only ones that AREN'T up are either planted too deep :wink: or have some Francee in their background - Patriot, Loyalist, Fire & Ice, etc - Twilight too. But Gold Standard & Striptease are up - Janet is up even farther.
The only one so far that's unfurled is a lancifolia. But the Stilettos & a few others are starting to or are close.

So today's project is getting out pots & getting them teamed up with bricks & rocks next to hostas. :???: We have low temps predicted here starting Wed & going thru next Monday [last time I looked yesterday]. Low tomorrow is gonna be 45 & the next day that's sposed to be the high. :o :x

Since the highs after that are only gonna be in the low-mid-40's & the lows at freezing or lower - my question is this:
Do I need to uncover them each day & recover them later or just leave the pots in place??

I'm thinking they'll be better off if I just leave them on but I'd like some other opinions/experience. Thanks!! :P
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
sugar

Post by sugar »

Well, there's more to it then just the species. I have three June plants, on has already unrolled it's leaves, another one has some large noses formed and the third has still to appear...

There is one Hosta everyone's mentioning for being early, that's Stiletto, it was one of the first over here as well (in second spot behind Calypso)
planwerk

Post by planwerk »

Just me! Every day during the season. :D

The hostas in pots at my nursery are all pocking through the ground, except for fortunei-type Hostas. Geisha, Raspberry Sorbet, lancifolia and Inaho are unfurled. The temps are way too high and i see myself covering the plants the next days during the night... puuuh. Spinach doesn't sell good

Anyway, can't wait to see them all!!

Greetings planwerk
Seebruck, Chiemsee, Germany
Zone 6b (526 m above sealevel, 1,5 m above lakelevel ;-) )

"Ein Leben ohne Hosta ist ein Irrtum"
frei nach Karl Foerster
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

It may be okay to leave them covered if it is cool and cloudy...? But I wonder if they would get too hot if the sun was out and shining on black pots. I'd like to hear from some others, too, as we are expecting that identical forecast here.... :cry: Even my Patriots are up and beginning to unfurl! They didn't poke thru till very late last year...I thought I had lost them.
Charla
New Topic Post Reply