Brass Ring vs Brass Ring Supreme

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
playinmud

Brass Ring vs Brass Ring Supreme

Post by playinmud »

Someone sold me a streaked Brass Ring last year (it looked cool, so I bought it).

Well, I decided to look it up in the Hosta Library and there it is, but I don't see any streaks on it. Then I find out there's a Brass Ring Supreme, so I'm wondering if this the same thing as Brass Ring Supreme, or is it just a streaked Brass Ring. Sorry to be so confusing...I'm confused. Sigh. HELP, anyone?

Donna
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Donna, one hybridizer/vendor I know of puts "supreme" in front of other Hosta names to indicate it's streaked. Kinda annoying, but I am used to it.
Does your plant have an edge and is streaked just in the middle....or are all the leaves streaked throughout?
I would love to see a pic, if you have one. :P
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Your safe to NOT add the supreme. There was a streaked version auctioned off a year or two ago and it wasn't auctioned as Supreme..

http://myhostas.net/db/view/Brass+Ring+streaked
MikeWI

Post by MikeWI »

From the hosta vine.... Brass Ring 'streaked' is a fairly common sport of Brass Ring. Stable, edged form is more difficult to maintain than the streaker. I would say you are safe to simply call it Brass Ring Streaked.
Mike
Milwaukee
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Brass Ring Streaked it is then. Thanks all! I really appreciate the input.

Roxanne here's a pic of the division I bought last year. Probably around the early June time frame gauging from the maple propellers on the ground.
BrassRing compressed.JPG
BrassRing compressed.JPG (30 KiB) Viewed 704 times
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
New Topic Post Reply