Will it help to water the eyes?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Libby

Will it help to water the eyes?

Post by Libby »

Looks like the temperature is going to crash later this week. :cry: Surface soil is dry, moist underneath from scattered showers. Is there any advantage to watering all these hosta eyes that have poked up?
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

Last year, we had some late frosts, so I reprogrammed my sprinkler system to water every hour and a half thru the night for 20 minutes at a time. The water is at least 20 degrees above freezing, so it worked like a charm. That was for ONE night of frost at a time. This cold spell is supposed to last for a week or two for us.

I wouldn't recommend doing this for long cold spells like the one coming. Personally, I'm just going to tough it out and keep my fingers crossed. :|
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Someone told me recently (I don't remember who, so I am not sure of the integrity of the advice, but I think it was at a reputable garden center), that if expecting a frost, it is good to water well ahead of time. Said the leaves hold up better when well hydrated.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
MikeWI

Post by MikeWI »

single watering prob won't help much if you do dip below freezing... you'd prob have to do what Jamie suggested for real benifit. I would consider maybe a single deep watering then cover with pots or some sort of fabric, but don't wet the fabric.
Mike
Milwaukee
Libby

Post by Libby »

Thanks for the advice, guys! Mother Nature made the decision for me and threw in the ice cubes. I appreciate the information though and have made reference notes.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I am glad you clarified that, Mike! :roll: I didn't realize I left that kind of open-ended. I meant to say that deep watering before covering helped more than if they were on the drier side. Thanks! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply