propagation

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

Your going to get different opinios whether to buy TC's or OS from everybody and the reason is going to be different. To me even 5 years ago it would have been better to stick with OS but now theres really no difference as long as it's healthy.
As far as Ebay goes there are a lot of reputable hosta nurseries using it as a tool to sell more hostas and boost their profits, Lets face it if it was up to just mail order and going to the nurseries they'd be out of business without it. Just learn who they are.

If you could only have 1 mini it has to be Pandoras Box, I have atleast 10 and would and will buy more.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

As far as OS vs TC - I have all of 3 hostas that are OS. So I'm afraid there'd be no hosta~addiction here if it weren't for TC. I wouldn't recommend 1st year TC's to start with. Let the growers raise 'em a year more or like Hallson's does - 2 years more.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
shaggybirdman

Post by shaggybirdman »

ok what's bright shade considered?
shaggybirdman

Post by shaggybirdman »

now that my new babies have been growing for a few days i wonder if the seller put the right tag with the right plant. i'm a no0b, but maybe one of the more experienced members can help me out.
Attachments
this looks more like teeny weeny bikini than dragon tails to me.
this looks more like teeny weeny bikini than dragon tails to me.
looks more like dragon tails than teeny weeny bikini to me.
looks more like dragon tails than teeny weeny bikini to me.
shaggybirdman

Post by shaggybirdman »

hmmmmm maybe they are labeled correctly. just went to the hosta library, and the pics are much more mature plant, but they mite be labeled correctly.
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

They look correctly labeled to me. Dragon Tails is solid gold. TWB has a light colored center and green edge.
sugar

Post by sugar »

The first one seems TWB. But the second one doesn't look at all like my Red Dragon...
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Shaggy they correctly labeled to me too.
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
shaggybirdman

Post by shaggybirdman »

sugar wrote:The first one seems TWB. But the second one doesn't look at all like my Red Dragon...
it's a dragon tails. not a red dragon.
shaggybirdman

Post by shaggybirdman »

yuppers. like i said above after looking in the hosta library, and having some growth on them they look somewhat like the library shows. just a bit more growing/time, and they will more like a mature plant. that's only like 5 days growth from when i planted them.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Young ones generally have more narrow leaves
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Shaggybirdman, what did you think of the hostalibrary? Is that your first introduction to it? :-?
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
shaggybirdman

Post by shaggybirdman »

no i've been using it to see what other hosta i want. being a no0b to hosta it is a valuable tool for me. i just wish it gave a bit more info on each plant. i realy don't know what it's lacking in info, but for some reason i think it needs more info on each plant.

that statement makes sense to me. i just hope everyone else doesn't think i'm bashing it. it's a great source of info.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Somehow I completely missed this post!
Welcome, shaggybirdman, and good luck with your hostas. Just one question...do you have a big shady growing area? If not, you may want to start looking for one. These plants have a way of getting into your head, and before you know it, you've got dozens, then hundreds.... :lol:
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Shaggy - besides the pics at the Hosta Library there are other sources of info there that can be helpful. Ck out all the links below the pic links on the main page.

Here's a direct link to Hugo's Database where you can search by hosta name, hybridizers, etc.
http://myhostas.net/db/info_search.php
Just type in a name - there's some info for most hostas at the library although some of the more obscure ones just have a name & maybe the originator. That's usually a pretty good indicator that the hosta only exists in the originator's garden [and maybe a couple of others.]

There's also Lemke's Database
http://www.hostalibrary.org/lemke.html
Look under the PDF files listing & then it's alphabetized.
For the most part the info there is taken from the registration papers for the individual hosta. So if the hosta is unregistered there may not be much info on it. And Mike Lemke hasn't been able to keep up with the registrations for the last few years so if it's a real new one you may not find much/any info on it.

That's when you can look at the online site that the Hosta Registrar set up last year.
http://hostaregistrar.org/
There's lots of good info to be found there - just scroll up to 'Searches' and a drop down menu appears. Click on the way you want to search & you're off to the hosta~races!! :wink:

But keep in mind that the registered sizes for hostas aren't always necessarily accurate for a mature plant depending on how old the original plant was when it was registered. That's when sources such as "The Hosta Handbook" are invaluable. Unfortunately it's out of print & not being re-published & Mark Zilis has yet to produce the book that many of us have been 'patiently' waiting for. I think I 1st heard it'd be available soon back in 2003. Glad I wasn't holding my breath. :wink: On Hallson's, Hank's POTD series is a great way to find out lots of info on size, growing conditions, etc. from Hank & many of the rest of us too.

Other online sources are handy too for more info. I ck out a couple of online hosta retailers if I can't find the info I'm looking for elsewhere. And you can always ck out the hosta growers online too so you can see info about new plants that they're selling to retailers now. I won't list them here. You can PM me if you'd like more info.

There's also the Hosta Finder that's compiled each year. Individual hosta listings with the retailers [from a list of 30-40 national hosta retailers] who carry that hosta & price. It also gives an average price & will tell you if the plant from that source is OS or TC. I've only had the Hosta Finder once a couple of years ago that I got from one hosta club so I'd have to look on my old one to see how to contact Steve Greene for this year's edition.

And for lots of good hosta info, here's a link to the Hosta FAQ that was compiled by hosta folk. Many of them are members here at Hallson's.
http://hostafaq.westside.com/default.view

Welcome to Hallson's, Shaggy!! :P I hope this will help.
Last edited by renaldo75 on Apr 13, 2007 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

If you really like the minis, that's the official AHS term now that the dwarf category is gone, pick 'Blue Mouse Ears', 'Cherish', and 'Pandora's Box'. The last, only if you're adventuresome.
You'll LOVE BME, I'm sure impressed with mine. And it's a TC :) . Bought it last year in the middle of the season, a TC originating from Shady Oaks, it was the largest one the nursery had in stock, 3 shoots, and I divided it into individual shoots before the middle of August. They were amongst the very first ones to break ground this year, one of them has FIVE shoots, one three and the last one is still solo, but I can see apical buds already. Talk about vigour!

PB and C are both on my most wanted list....
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hey, great info everyone!

Good advice Linda. :wink: :wink: :lol: We maybe should have let him get a little more "hooked" before we revealed the truth. Although, at this point he may still be able to get out! :lol:

Renaldo, thanks for that info...it's new to me, also.

Shaggybirdman, I also agree with Pieter about "Blue Mouse Ears" and I have "Cherish." They were both new for me last year and got planted toward the end of the season...August, maybe? Anyway, you may have heard that we had freezing temps here this last week? Well, both Cherish and Blue Mouse Ears were up considerably when the cold weather hit. I covered both with flower pots and a blanket and had 0 damage on either. I think pretty amazing since everything else is steamed veggies but the minis I covered with pots and blankets! They both look great! My BME doubled in size from last year it looks like... :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Blue Mouse Ears is an excellent hosta!! And it's scheduled to be Hosta of the Year for 2008 I believe. I got a one division plant in 2003. For $25. :o :eek: I thought that was a bit high at the time but I bit the bullet. [Mainly cuz JimmyMac & Lois had spent 15 minutes trying to find it for me at their friend's nursery. :wink: But then Jimmy's always enjoyed seeing me part with money on hostas.] I'm sure glad I did though. :P The next year it had 3 divisions, 2005 it had 8, and last year it had 15. It was just emerging this year & I could already see that many eyes again when I covered it with soil last week before the freeze. I sure hope that did some good!!
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
shaggybirdman

Post by shaggybirdman »

Linda P wrote:Somehow I completely missed this post!
Welcome, shaggybirdman, and good luck with your hostas. Just one question...do you have a big shady growing area? If not, you may want to start looking for one. These plants have a way of getting into your head, and before you know it, you've got dozens, then hundreds.... :lol:
Linda P
the front of my house is my shady place. i have no intentions of going nutz (ya right) on hosta. besides i like the mini, and small ones. i have over 200 bonsai (mostly maples), so i was thinking of putting them under them i also have indoor bonsai under floresent tubes. so far the 2 i have seem to be happl under them. well not actualy under them, hmmmm just looked. they are under them, but seem to be happy so far. i'll be keeping a eye on them. i think i can get away with growing them inside. i have enough ambient light/shade i think, or is that a bad idea?
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Yeah, I suppose you can do it. For a while. But come fall they'll have to go outside, senesce and go dormant and then bring them in again the following spring. But why not leave them outdoors, where they belong? Far less hassle.
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply