Well, here we go. It's officially cold.

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

shaggybirdman

Post by shaggybirdman »

i feel for everyone here. i only have two hosta, but i have over 200 bonsai in pots to care for. some are zone 6. i'm zone 5. some have broke bud. luckily they are on a cart with wheel, and easily moved in the garage, but half aren't. had to lug them all in by hand. this time of year i have to play yo yo with them till over night temps get to 50. out in the am, and back in in the pm. been doing that for 2 years now. it's 27 right now with a 20 degree wind chill.

lucky me. i work the grave shift, so i get to deal with the low temps while at work :(
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

I went out this morning after nearly 2 days of 20-30+mph freezing winds. I have about 500 trilliums that are absolutely crispy. They were merely days away from opening their bloom. I hope these aren't killed back too.

-sigh-

:roll:
ademink

Post by ademink »

Mine too. Giant white ones, the "regular" burgundy ones, a pink one. UGH :cry:

PS How did you like my proper names? :lol:
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
Justme

Post by Justme »

As part of my vow to be a better Hosta Mom this year, I paid (bribed?) my DS to cover my unfurling hostas tonight :D . In previous years I have never bothered and they usually don't look that bad after the second flush of leaves arrives. But 5 days expected in the 20's?!? Told DS he gets a $1 a day for covering and uncovering the hostas, at 9yrs he thinks that is great! :lol: Now the yard has lots of unside down plastic grocery bags scattered around, hope it doesn't get windy.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

A lake effect snow advisory!?

-faints-

(thwump)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Tami :D

That's just too cute... or cruel..depending on the wind :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply