Levels of Hosta Obsession

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

hostarod

Levels of Hosta Obsession

Post by hostarod »

Let me start by saying hosta seedlings to me are the most enjoyable hobby that I have ever had and say that I am obsessed with hosta, absolutely correct.
When I first became a hosta addict I grew lots of hosta, I would buy all the new ones that came onto the market. I really did enjoy this First Level of Hosta Obsession. As everyone does, I thought that one day I would have them all so I scoured the countryside looking for hosta and would order so many new ones in the spring that eventually I ran out of room in the yard.
Than the Next Level of Hosta Obsession took over my life, I started to grow hosta seed as I had daylily seed years before. As you can guess I then had to start removing all those hosta from my packed little yard to make room for the new seedlings and all the streaked breeders. I dream about what crosses to make next or how I can get a hold of that next breeding plant.
At this level of obsession my wife and family started to wonder about me, they were concerned that maybe I was losing my senses and maybe they should consider getting me some medical help. Well little did they know that my obsession would just continue to grow, actually it grew faster than some of my seedlings. Now the wife and family just make fun little jokes about my illness they will say to me “what will you do when the police knock on the door”and “what will you tell them as to why our house is glowing all night” and how do I make the officer believe me when I say “Oh they are hosta seedlings” my wife just hopes the bail is not too high so that I can be home in time for the next watering of the seedlings.
The neighbors are always kidding me that living by me is like living in the “Land of the Midnight Sun” or some just hurry away before I can tell them about my latest and greatest seedling. Or how about when I go to the kids school and the wife starts to tell them about my breeding hosta and that I always have at least 5000 seedlings growing in the basement. Then the time she slipped and told the principal about my love of having sex in the garden, she did not even have time to explain my love of hybridizing before I was asked to leave the school grounds. And how about all your hosta friends they encourage you and tell you how great your seedlings look but when you tell them of the thousands of seedlings you have culled and composted and they look at you as if you were a murderer.

And don't even get me started on these same friends that will outbid you at the auction, they say that they are bidding against you because they are trying to help your recovery efforts. Or when they push past you in the vending room to get to the tables first.

I know they are just helping me out, so thanks hosta friends, you are the GREATEST.

signed Rod Kuenster

a recovering addict (well trying to recover any way.)
Attachments
13.jpg
13.jpg (30.42 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

I feel sorry for you, Rod. :???:

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
ademink

Post by ademink »

:lol: Oh, how I can relate!
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I guess I haven't reached the point where I am ready to recover, yet! :lol: :lol: :lol: I hope I never do! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

LMAO Rod, I think you were the one telling me I didn't need anymore seeds at the auction table, LOL. Didn't work, but thanks for the support, LOL. You have to admit, you are not alone, helps me to know we are all in the same boat!
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Just accept you love it :lol:

hey your wife is still there and the kids, so why are you complaining :-? :lol:

HUGS

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Awww Rod......you are not a recovering addict, you are still an addict....with some pretty swell looking plants! :P
Willowy

Post by Willowy »

Once an addict, always an addict! However I have not yet had the same loving experience with my baby hosta (1st year parent). Yes I am tenderly taking care of the little lovelies...even if they are all solid colors and mostly green...because there is always hope and I am waiting for a miracle. Even though others have reported that you can see the characteristics with the first leaves, I still think I may see something great after growing on a couple years. How do I choose to cull some now???
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Appears that I am still at the early stages of my addiction. I have yet to do seedlings.....but maybe someday. :roll: I think I would have a very hard time with the culling aspect of growing seedlings and would end up with ten gazillion undescript green ones. :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Rod, I really blame it all on Jimmy Mac. :lol: You know it's not your fault. All that space he has out there to grow on your seedlings is just feeding your problem. Then there are all those people who insist on showing spectacular seedling pics, just egging you on.
I'm pretty sure that you could arm yourself ahead of time against the police with some printouts from the forum, maybe be sure to keep on hand some of the voluminous reports on growing hosta seed from the Hosta Library, etc.
When you finally descend into complete madness, just put out an SOS and I'll come and rescue your seedlings..er, I mean I'll come and rescue you.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

What a hoot!!!!!!
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I guess I'm still in the latter stages of the 1st stage of hosta~obsession . Edging slowly if impatiently toward the growing seed stage. There are still definitely hosta I want, but now it's for the characteristics they'd add to a future breeding program. :wink:

I was really considering the degree of my obsession by late afternoon on Tuesday. Over 1/2 finished covering hostas but still not close to being done. I'd been at it for most of the day. :???: And I realized that my future plans for one bed that's a holding bed now would be nearly impossible to cover unless I used frost blankets or a set-up similar to Wanda's..... Guess I'd better be on the lookout for cheap pvc & heavy plastic.

I was definitely considering the degree of my hosta~obsession. And thinking about some of the hostas I purchased in the 1st couple of years of the obsession that really don't do much for me. But it was a hosta I didn't have so I bought it. Those may be finding new homes in the coming year. I now realize there's no way I have room to have them ALL. :idea: :wink: I'll tackle the problem of space for seedlings when I have some. :lol:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Linda P, you're a great friend!! :wink:

Renaldo, please don't worry about those hostas you don't have room for anymore....I have plenty of room! You could send them to me, and I could hold them for you till you need them back, or a large piece of them back! (he,he) :lol:
Charla
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Rod you're my hero! I hope I grow up to be just like you someday. One can only hope.

I planted my first hosta seeds 2 weeks ago (better late than never)...well, yesterday I noticed my first nit of green coming from the 'Hacksaw' container :o . It is so exciting.

Donna
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

OOhhhh, Donna! It's all over now!! Better just raise the white flag and consider your goose cooked! :o :o :o I looked on Rod's website last December....first time I really knew you could grow seeds and get THAT....now I have 12 flats planted...probably close to a thousand! :o :o :o But I also can't remember when gardening was this much fun...and I looooovvvve to garden!!!! :D :o :o :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks, Rod! :???: :x :D :D :lol:

BTW, Donna, congrats, enjoy watching your babies! I hope you will post some pics soon! :D
Charla
MikeWI

Post by MikeWI »

Hey Rod -

I'm not sure where the, pardon the term... hell I am any more with the obsession..... I love the idea of growing seed... but I truely SUCK at it. I'm glad I never got into parenting.....

I am down to ONE seedling that I think has potential for this years batch... at one time I was up in the 30's.... but now I'm down to ONE one single suffering seedling.

EVERY year I make crosses, every year I get germination, every year... I kill them. The strong ones survive... the really really really strong ones... so i do get a couple here and there... bud dang.
Mike
Milwaukee
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hang in there, Mike....I know it's been a looooonnng winter. You just need to see some noses coming up, and some leaves coming out. It'll be okay in a few days... :roll: :D :D Hostas are kinda like golf, I think, it only takes one good shot, after 17 bad holes, to get you pumped again. :lol: So, hang in there, your obsession will be back up to speed in no time! :D
Charla
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Charla I know I'm a gonner already...LOL...one dumb pin head sized speck of green and I'm so excited I can't stand it. If it doesn't die (I'm not good at the parenting thing either Mike), I'll definitely post a pic.

I think it's odd that out of all these seeds I sowed only one is poppin' out (two weeks tomorrow). Is this normal?? What's the norm for germination time??

Again, after seeing Rod's seedlings and hearing about his addiction, he's my hero :cool: ! Sigh, someday!
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Oh my!! I just came into possesion of my first hosta & am trying seeds too!!! :eek:

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Mike, I have killed my share of seedlings, as well. Plus, I am a relentless culler, if I do manage to grow a bunch.
I bet, after 5 years of winter growing of seeds, I have about 8 seedlings outside, that I kept. I even killed one that had red petioles and red around the leaf perimeter.... :eek:

I just always think to myself, someone has to buy Hostas....we all can't be hybridizers. Kinda like if we were all homebuilders.....the new housing market would crash for sure!

So, I will be content in my obsession being what it is.......buy what I like, and in a few years if I want to dabble pollen seriously, maybe I will.
For now, here's a pic of one of Rod's throw aways from 2004. He told me then that He thought it was from Sunpower, but maybe not. :P Taken on Sept. 27, 2006
Attachments
s Chartreuse.jpg
New Topic Post Reply