So, who all is out covering up hosta?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Justaysam

So, who all is out covering up hosta?

Post by Justaysam »

I've only got 2 covered up with pots. Guess I am lucky, out of the ones poking up, only eyes here so far. The 2 I covered are starting to unfurl a bit, so just to be safe, on went the pots. I don't seem to get much damage when they are at this stage, I sure hope they will be fine. I do have a potted H. Woolly Mammoth, a freebe from the WSM I potted up that is leafing out, and put him into the garage. Temps in Northern Il have been below 30 all day with flurries, and expected to stay this way until atleast Mon. Bummer.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

What a gift you all get for Easter :evil:

Had a light frost last night and pottet down 5 starting to unfurl hostas. - they all seens to be okay today.

One of these days i have to spread out the grit piles i added in start of january when they first started here. it did help other vise i would have to cover so many more

Good luck :D

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
buff24

Post by buff24 »

Hubby helped me cover the ones who were closer to unfurling... See pics below... The white stuff accumulating along the flap of the cardboard box is SNOW!

Buff

We have not inherited the earth from our fathers, we are borrowing it from our children. ~Native American saying
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

Mother Nature is covering mine - WITH SNOW!!! Under a Winter Storm Warning, one county away from the Blizzard Warning area. About an inch on the ground now, and snowing hard with 40 mph wind gusts. Since we are expected to have lows in the 15 degree range til Sunday, in this case a nice layer of snow is welcome and will insulate the hosta very nicely. Luckily, my hosta are just eye-buds at ground level...maybe two with 1/4” points sticking up. And hopefully the cold will slow them down some...everything up here is showing a full 3 weeks early. My 6 lonely little crocus would have bloomed today, but got froze last night and now they look like wet tissue paper.

Don’t worry, though...with 500+ hosta and Michigan weather, I WILL eventually be out there many evenings/mornings doing the “save the hosta” scramble (if I can get MIL to cooperate)...until the second week of June most likely.

wanda
madmama

Post by madmama »

Well I was going to do it today since we weren’t supposed to have a freeze last night. Boy, were they wrong! We got down in the lower 20’s last night and 80% of my hostas were up. So I have a garden full of mush. I am so upset! I just keep telling myself that they are not dead, and they will recover. Not looking forward to having to go out and clean up that mess.
<font size="+2" I>Jane<I/font>
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Well, I didn't cover anything.....I did last year and I think even the year before....not this year.....Little Miss Magic is up and Hart's Tongue is unfurled......Venetian Blue has some real tall eye's up, but they have not unfurled......You think I should cover them tomorrow? I am off work.....I hate this weather.!! :evil:
Libby

Post by Libby »

The terrible 20's came a day early here, too. :x I've got various degrees of damage to leaves and some splotching on unfurled eyes. This was a bad freeze at 27 degrees and wind chill of 15 but I went out today and covered those hostas that might still have a chance.

Lucy, I've had eyes that do OK with frost if they were still completely encased. Freezing temps are something else, though!
Willowy

Post by Willowy »

Fortunately, I have not seen an eye to date...so nothing to cover up, however it sure is ugly outside! I don't think I will see any hosta waking up for at least two more weeks-- short growing season in the North East!
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I covered mine yesterday, as I thought it was just going to frost, but also be cold all week. I am glad I did as it got down to 27! I only looked at a few. I left them covered as it only go to 45 today and so I thought they would be okay as they could all get a little ventillation. Sad, sad, sad..they were so pretty. I did get a few pics before I covered them... :cry:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Since I had none unfurling yet I didn't bother trying to cover anything up. We have a light snow covering everything this morning. :???:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh man./..this morning my tulips are bent over......I am too afraid to look at the hosta's.....I am so glad now, that I have this pup to keep my mind off of it....:lol: I think of Reldon about now..... :wink: Oh well....... :D
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Take a look at my 'Potted' Hostas post. I posted it before I looked at the updated/new posts.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
mamaw2

Post by mamaw2 »

I covered my hostas with leaves the first of the week. Almost all of mine were up-anything from just eyes to unfurling leaves. The cold hit a night earlier than predicted so I was glad I was keeping an eye on the weather. I also had fruit trees blooming or just finishing blooming. I was out last weekend counting eyes and alot of my hostas had doubled and tripled from last year. I am not even tempted to go peek under the leaves yet. I'll save the moaning for next week. I have to tell you though that my hosta beds really look kind of funny. These nice clean beds with these funny patches of leaves scattered around.
Anita
Justme

Post by Justme »

I am paying the 9yr old $1 a day to cover and uncover the unfurled hostas :D I now have upside down grocery bags everywhere :lol: Hope they are enough.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Well OC jusgtt waited too lang

Post by oldcoot »

:eek: :eek: :eek: Hit 34 last night and they just announced a hard freeze for tonight, tomorrow, and Sunday with low temps estimated to be in the low 20's. Starts the warm up Monday. only gets down to 34* then. At least in the days it is up in the high 40's we are setting new low records every night this week....BRRRRRRRR

OC not a happy camper. It's up to you Lord.....
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
New Topic Post Reply