Afraid to get hooked? Don't look if you don't like seedlings

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

hostarod

Afraid to get hooked? Don't look if you don't like seedlings

Post by hostarod »

Hello All,
here are a couple seedlings for today.
5- is a cross from a ls mom seedling X a dorset clown seedling
7- is a dorothy benedict seedling X a dorset clown seedling
and 14- is a blue belly X dorset clown

Have a great day a think spring,
I know it has to come soon
Rod
Attachments
14.jpg
14.jpg (31.3 KiB) Viewed 2468 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (33.39 KiB) Viewed 2468 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (32.2 KiB) Viewed 2468 times
Last edited by hostarod on Apr 05, 2007 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I looked. :wink: You always have plenty of good looking seedlings, Rod!!

Spring was here - it seems to have gone into hiding though...
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

I looked. I liked. :D
hostarod

Post by hostarod »

More to toss in?
Attachments
8.jpg
8.jpg (37.44 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (33.65 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (32.95 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
allnitro

Post by allnitro »

:cool: Those are real nice! :cool:
JEFF
hostarod

Post by hostarod »

Thanks for the support it is most appreciated
Rod
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I like all, but I really like the second batch. Great work! and thanks for sharing!! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Like them- sure did

Just did not dare to see them

:lol:

There is no way I will admit, I peaked around in the soil for my Sworch seelings from your seeds from last year.. and neither that I love to look at the small babies from this :wink:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Nice Rod, do you know what they are from?
Any Dorothy Benidict? I keep buying, and trying, but never get anything from them but green. I was going to grow them on a bit, but I killed the whole batch from the Stegman's that I got. :cry: Which, once again, were all green. I did get a TC DB last year, maybe some day, like ten years from now, it will bloom and give me my own DB seeds to try, and or kill. Wish I knew what I am doing wrong with them.
GibbsCorner
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by GibbsCorner »

I was already hooked, so no fear!

I think 14.jpg is my favorite, but the whole second batch is great as well. 8-) 8-)

Matt
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

Very nice streaky babies indeed. I particularly liked 8.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
hostarod

Post by hostarod »

Thanks everyone for the possitive support and comments at this time when I have so many issues to deal with.
Linda, DB seeds need to be treated with lots of attention to do well, they can die off for no reason at all. I believe that there are two seedlings here from different DB seedling crosses. I like the seedlings for crosses more than mother plants but that is just me. All seedlings are fun for sure.
Rod
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Okay I peeked...and I love them.
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Rod,

I also wanted to ask you how many seedlings you grow each winter? And I'm wondering what percentage of streakers you see. Is it 1 in 10, 1 in 100, maybe 1 in 1,000? Just curious, because I have no idea.

FYI, I'm addicted now, I planted three clear plastic muffin containers with soiless mix and sowed some seeds 2 1/2 weeks ago. They're just starting to pop up...they're the sweetest things. Most are green, I have a few yellows, but no streakers. I didn't expect any, if I had sowed 30 flats, I would have hoped for a few of them.
~PIM~

Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Rod each time I get DB seed, all expensive by the way, I get them to grow, but they are all green. I keep growing them on, hoping they will color up, even thou no other seed has "colored up" for me, they all start to show what they are at the 2 -4 leaf stage. The one thing I have learned, for some reason, they don't like to be covered much when germinating. They start fine, I have let them go up to bushy, 6 -8 leaved plants, but they are always green. I have tried seed from Ebay, Lisa and Andy, and the Stegmans, so I don't think it is the sources, I think it is me! I think LM has said the streaked gene is still in there somewhere, so I guess I could use them as pod parents someday, but I always just let them deminish and die. This years batch is long gone, giving its light space to others. No more DB seed purchases for me, I do have a TC baby. Maybe some day, read as 2020, it will give me seed to try again, LOL.
hostarod

Post by hostarod »

Donna,
to get some little streaked babies it is best to always use a streaked mom plant as the pod parent.
If you do this you will get some streaked little ones. The rate of streaked to green is always different but 30 percent is O.K. some times it will be 90% or 0% you just never know. To me that is the fun of growing the seeds. I have had flats of the same seeds be totally different even as far as germination rates and streaked seedlings. Getting those surprises is always so fun. I am sure I grow well over 5,000 seeds on average of the last few years and have 5% of them left by spring time only the that look nice can keep their spot under the lights.
Linda,
now remember never say never because next year when you see them for sale somewhere I am guessing your hand will be in the air to buy them.
Rod
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Nope. Not Me! I'm on my second marriage, and I said after the first, "No, I'm never getting married again!" And I REALLY mean it this time, "Nope. Not Me!" LOL
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Thanks Rod, I'll keep trying! And....5,000 seeds!! :eek: I'm in awe! Do you grow these in your basement?! I'd love to see a pic of that!

I have three plastic muffin containers and my mother is having a fit "at the mess", I can't imagine 5,000 seeds. LOL! I don't care, they are sweet little hostas. I bought Hacksaw last year, it flowered and set seed. Almost 100% sprouted, there are a few with long yellow leaves...I'm keeping my fingers crossed. None may be streaked, but at least I got some to sprout!

Linda, I had gotten seeds of DB crossed with DB, and none of them even sprouted. At least you got them to grow! That's the first hurdle I have yet to get over.
~PIM~

malaprop

Post by malaprop »

Yeah, what Rod said.

The pod parent carries the color genes, and the pollen parent carries the shape features, size, etc... genes.

And it can't be any old 2-color pod parent, but one that is unstable, streaked, smeared before it can produce a 2-color hosta.

It's like your Frances Wms, for instance, is completely stable now, like an atom is with equal numbers of electrons, protons, a stable compound, and no extra electrons available to create a new compound.. (I don't know if that's a good example or not, but best I can do.)

My purchases of DB seed on ebay came out green, and few germinations, so perhaps the seed needs to be fresh. I know my own testing says fresh seed is the most dependable for germination.

See the photo below---this is a former streaked seedling, that after 2 dormancies, "found it's edge" this spring. We'll see how it does as the season progresses.
Attachments
former streakxJPG.jpg
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

I think that it is a crap shoot Mal. We all grow hundreds, heck some grow thousands of streaked seedlings. In 3 - 5 seasons we are all going to have margined plants. Out of those thousands grown, maybe 1/10 may hold some strange or unsual trait that will make it unique from the thousands of named hosta out there that you could just order up from one of the many wonderful dealers out there. I don't know why I do it, many others will introduce what they come up with. For me it is about the growing of the seed. Who knows, in 5 years I may have them all up on ebay as cheap lots of "green and white" hosta for sale, LOL.
New Topic Post Reply