If it froze...don't look under the pots!!!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
eastwood2007

If it froze...don't look under the pots!!!

Post by eastwood2007 »

I just thought I would peek under the pots I used to cover my hostas.....oohhhhhhh...... :cry: :cry: :cry: The ones close to the house may be okay, but the ones in the middle of the yard are black and mushy, especially where they touch the pots. It only got down to 27 last night, so I'd say not much hope for surviving 19-20 Fri and Sat night.....oohhhhhh! I hope keeping them covered might help protect the crowns a little....will they die? :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Don't worry Charla, they won't die. The foliage will replace itself but they won't be as large as they would have without the freezing weather.

With these kinds of temperatures black pots just won't do much I'm afraid. Even frost blankets would be hard pressed to protect that much foliage.

Sorry about the foliage lose, but not to worry, they definitely won't die.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Thanks, Chris, that is comforting...sort of...

It is just so disappointing as they were coming out this year for the first time really big...I guess there's always next year....ugghhh! It is so depressing! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Charla
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Oh Charla I'm sorry you're hostas were hit so hard by the cold!! That's so sad! :cry:

Its flurrying here right now, going to get really cold and I'm wondering if my hostas are going to be okay too...they're still little purple buds on the crown, they haven't started to pop out yet. Should I cover them up or something??
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
Libby

Post by Libby »

I've only peeked at a few, Charla and I see dark spots I'm too afraid to touch. Many of mine were going into their 4th and 5th year so I know exactly how you feel.

Knowing they'll be smaller and diminished just when you have high expectations is a mental blow to the spirit. And, at the same time, I'm ashamed of myself since it's not a farm crop for my livelihood. Sigh. But I'm still in a foul mood!
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Sorry for yours hostas.

Hard this time of spring when we all just wait for them to unfurl :cry:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Well, nothing else we can do....I did notice my Baptisia, and it wasn't covered yet is standing up just like before. There were a couple of strange weeds that had sprouted right next to it and they were flat...that helped my spirits a little! 8-) I bet the cold won't even scorch all the dandelions! :x It's wrong...it's just wrong!!!!! :x :x :o :D :D :lol:
Charla
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Charla - the dandelions here are thriving - frigid cold or scorching heat - doesn't matter cuz they love it all. :???: They'll survive into the next millenium along with the cockroaches. :wink:

Sorry your hostas took such a bad hit. I haven't 'peaked' at any of mine. Just rounded up the pots that blew off even with the bricks weighting them down. All pots are NOT created equal - the thin/wussy ones don't support bricks nearly as well. :lol: [Tami's 9 yr old would need a HUGE supply of plastic grocery bags here. :wink: It's just a weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee bit windy!!! :o ] It was up to 40 here yesterday afternoon but the wind still felt like it was blowing off an iceberg. Tulips are laying low again this morning. Same ole same ole........ :roll:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Darned dandelions! I mowed today getting ready for the Easter egg hunt. My dandelions actually look like they have snuggled down into the grass! Little stinkers! :???: I had to weight down more pots today...they were blowing away faster than I could secure them. I thought the wind was bad the other day, but it was really something today. I put blankets on top of the pots flat to the ground on my minis. I hope it helps as we are scheduled to beat a record low by 6-7 degrees tonight. Man! :eek:

You know I am not glad that everyone else is in this boat with me, but it is nice to at least have someone else that understands the frustration! Thanks, y'all! :roll:
Charla
Becky in TN

Post by Becky in TN »

East TN also went down to 26 Friday night. They are predicting down to 24 Sat night. I've cover so much but doubt with temps that low it will do any good.

I did move all my special large decorative pots that I keep on the patio onto the covered front porch. I hope the heat and protection from the house plus the heavy comforter, a winter blanket and and old bedspread will add enough warm to keep the green. When my DH walked the dog last night, a bird flew out from under the blanket. At least something may benefit from the effort.

I quess I should be happy knowing I did what I coukd, With temps so far below freezing no much hope. Glad I had a nice warm house. Hope the homeless found warm shelters!!

Becky in TN
New Topic Post Reply