Guilty of harboring green seedlings

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
wzbt03

Guilty of harboring green seedlings

Post by wzbt03 »

Yeah I know, cull the little guys (or gals) but this picture of two very different Dorothy Benedict seedlings - one shiney green and one flat green are hard to part with.
Attachments
DB seedlings.jpg
DB seedlings.jpg (19.95 KiB) Viewed 841 times
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

Depends, I have 2 seedlings that I kept from Twilight a few years ago that are very deep green. But they are the only seedlings I've ever got from this hosta. Other than that have to say I don't keep them I give them to a local nursery so I don't have to cull them
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I have a couple hundred green seedlings from Frances Williams, Olive Bailey Langdon and Abiqua Drinking Gourd. Some look pretty ordinary, but some look interesting...I am going to let them grow a little longer before I decide whether or not to keep any. I think I will sell/give away mine at our local farmers market. They may be green, but they do seem fairly vigorous and will probably be a nice size.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
ademink

Post by ademink »

I don't understand why we cull all of the green ones. I know if you have a hundred that look the same...ok. But why despise all green as so many seem to?

Jade Cascade is a phenomenal hosta...as is Mont. Macro....Flower Power....Tall Boy....can you tell the big greens are my fave? :lol:
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I'm with you, ademink...maybe it's just cuz we're new at this and we don't have a million green ones, yet! :D But I actually have some really nice green ones from several different batches....some are really dark, some have beautiful heart shaped leaves, tiny ones...maybe I am just too partial to be impartial! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
sugar

Post by sugar »

ademink wrote:I don't understand why we cull all of the green ones. I know if you have a hundred that look the same...ok. But why despise all green as so many seem to?

Jade Cascade is a phenomenal hosta...as is Mont. Macro....Flower Power....Tall Boy....can you tell the big greens are my fave? :lol:
I agree, greens aren't dull. I have a lot of plain greens, with as a favourite Devon Green, one of those Hostas that don't get the attention they deserve
Rob
USDA Zone: 8a

Green

Post by Rob »

I've stopped buying two- and more colored hosta all together. Just love different shades and shapes of green and blue.
Correction ... I've almost completely stopped ... sometimes it's stronger than me.

Love from the Hosta Mill

Rob
Visit my garden on www.hostamill.be/ENG
New Topic Post Reply