Seed Growing Story? Tips?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
hostarod

Seed Growing Story? Tips?

Post by hostarod »

I am looking for hosta seed growing people that would be willing to send me their 'seed growing metods" "tips" or also share their story with me as to why they grow hosta seeds?

I will be posting these on my website to share with others your name will appear with your story or tips if that is O.K.
so please e-mail me or put your tips , methods or story here and let me know that I can share these.

I did check with Chris about posting this and my site is a non selling site just some addicts hang out there.

Thanks Rod
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

yeah, Rod, like dishing out the drugs for free is better.... :cool:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
hostarod

Post by hostarod »

O.K. so that did not work out and here I thought that we had some good story tellers among us. So lets hear it or share your seed starting methods. Please, Rod
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Hey Rod!

I don't want you to feel bad about this - I would love to contribute, but I am only in my second year of seed starting, so my experiences (and stories) are very limited.

I will share the following though, a tip for what NOT to do!

Last year in an attempt to cut corners, I decided to mix mostly "seed starting mix" that comes commercially packed in the red bag with some left over "potting mix" that comes in the green bag with the time release fertilizer (about an 80% to 20% mix). Since I wanted to be sure it was sterile before putting my precious seeds into it (the ones marked Rods Streaky Mix) I decided to dampen it and put it in the microwave.

Those little fertilizer pellets that look like slug eggs in the potting mix make an amazing mess in the microwave when they pop. I spent a good 30 minutes cleaning various forms of "dirt" from the fan, lights and crevices that are inside the microwave.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

sorry for this duplicate....for some reason it won't let me delete it... :-?
Last edited by eastwood2007 on Apr 10, 2007 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charla
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Alexa, that is a very good "what not to do" story. I'm glad you posted it, cuz it does seem like a good idea to microwave the soil! :D 8-)

Rod, I did email you a seed starting story to your website as I saw it there before. I thought it was kinda long for the forum post. Not sure if you can use it, as it is my first year....did you get it?
Charla
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Hej Rod

Nothing special to say. I do all the lazy way :wink:
Just get a new fresh bag of coconut fibers maybe add a bit of seedstarting mix, put the mix in containers add a bit of grit on top... I have poored boiling water over it and in a good year it have had the time to dry :oops:

Put the containers in a tray, put some plastic on top of it and then when there are enough sprouts I put it under light 24/7 and in the first days keep the plastic on and off.

After some weeks I start fertilize and culling

Realy nothing special

Sometime in May I put them- slowly- out door in the shade and now the problem start... I have no space :evil: so I have found out how extremly hardy they are.

They sometimes get in new containers, read tiny containers 2-3" or so each, sometimes they have just been standing in the trays for a winther

So here is the only knowledge I have: Most of them are, as 2. jear seedlings, hardy enough to live a winther outside in a tiny pot, halfway in a frozen tray (filled with frozen water) and with icy snow on top :D

Don´t kick me :oops: :oops: :oops:

I tell myself I do not want any fuzzy hostas :wink: :lol:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply