I found red petioles!!!!!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
eastwood2007

I found red petioles!!!!!

Post by eastwood2007 »

I found red petioles when looking at some "Korean Snow" x OP seedlings that are about a 7-10 days old! I got the seeds off ebay. As you may have read in my posts, I am not too excited usually about red petioles. HOWEVER....when I saw these I freaked! :eek: I see now why everyone gets so excited!!! :lol:

And there I was...lying on the floor on my belly, clear lid off the seed flat, lights shining just the right direction, so I could get a good look...with my magnifying glass!!!! :eek: What has happened to me!!!! :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rod, this is all your fault! You and your hostaseedgrowers website, and that blasted "Fudge Ripple" seedling of yours that I can't get out of my mind! This obsession is taking on a life of its own! I feel like I no longer have control! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll post pictures of the babies (and there are lots of them) when they are big enough to show in the camera lens without the magnifying glass..... :o :o :lol:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
allnitro

Post by allnitro »

:o Dr. Phill might be able to help...... but I just don't think he could even understand 'This Obsession' we now possess either! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JEFF
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Hey Charla!

Yep - Korean Snow does throw some awesomely neat red petiole babies..... This is one of mine

Definitely post photos when they are big enough!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

:cool:

Be careful now!! We don't want you settin those red-legged babies on fire with that magnifying glass!! :eek: :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Thanks for all your support, guys and gals! Calliloo, do the red petioles come from something in the 'Korean Snow' or from the pollen parent? I don't yet have a 'Korean Snow' (got one on the way), but when I looked at those on hostalibrary, none of them showed the red petioles...? My tiny babies look very similar to the pics you posted. I was so surprised I could see tiny little red spots on those petioles that were only about 3/8" long. A couple of them looked like they had the really dark spots like Mr. Leafmould had on some. I would really like that....but we'll see as they get bigger. I'll be gazing at them for hours a day, waiting to see what happens! :o :o :lol: :lol:

I don't know if Dr. Phill could understand this or not...but then again, he does have Robin! :o :lol: :lol:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
GibbsCorner
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by GibbsCorner »

Charla,

I grew some Korean snow seedlings last year and a couple of them showed red pets as well. It wouldn't surprise me if it's something in the KS genes. They make beautiful seedlings.

Keep an eye out for the flowers, too. If mine are any indication, they are pretty cool. Not big, but nicely colored.

Matt
New Topic Post Reply