Ugliest Seedling

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
wzbt03

Ugliest Seedling

Post by wzbt03 »

I have thought of posting this topic for quite a while and its time has finally come.
I started a group of Hypoleuca seedlings in November and they have been ugly from the start.
The undersides are a nice white but that does not even help. I did end up with one nice looking one which I will post later when I find it.
Most look exactly like this picture.
So if you have one that is uglier that looks like it will live (as this one should), then post it in this subject listing.
Attachments
Hypoleuca 1.jpg
Hypoleuca 1.jpg (35.66 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

:o :eek: :-?
Ah, give the poor thing some time. It may surprise you one day. If it's got good white backs, I'd let it grow on for a while and see if the next set of leaves looks a little better. I have a few Xanadu Empress Wu seedlings that looked like that when they were babies. By the end of the summer, they had grown like weeds and the leaves were more normally shaped. I'm wondering if it isn't something to do with rapid growth that causes the distortion in the leaves? Anyone know?
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

:o One side looks like it's growing faster than the other so that it looks stretched. Looks uncomfortable at best. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Yikes! :eek: Some of my babies looked like that early on then I realized they were too close to the lights. Maybe this one just likes more shade???? :hmm:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
hummingbird
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by hummingbird »

awwwwwwwe :( ...I'm cheering for the poor lil underdog (show'em what ur made of)
"Friends are as elusive as rainbows"
Liselotte

WZ

Post by Liselotte »

Any hypoleuca seedling coming up for me will be kept for a lomg time :lol: :lol: :lol: I have some rather impressive looking 10 year old seedlings from Pete Ruh's seeds. It is hard to decide which ones are keepers. So please, give that little thingy a chance! :lol:
malaprop

Re: Ugliest Seedling

Post by malaprop »

wzbt03 wrote:I have thought of posting this topic for quite a while and its time has finally come.
I started a group of Hypoleuca seedlings in November and they have been ugly from the start.
The undersides are a nice white but that does not even help. I did end up with one nice looking one which I will post later when I find it.
Most look exactly like this picture.
So if you have one that is uglier that looks like it will live (as this one should), then post it in this subject listing.

So, do you usually keep the inside of your house so cold your seedlings get nipped and have frost damage?
wzbt03

Frost

Post by wzbt03 »

No frost damage to this duckling.
I have about 7 of these growing and they all look like the picture except one.
They have not been too close to lights or too much fertilizer, they were born ugly and have stayed ugly.
When a new leaf comes in it never comes in looking nice and then turns ugly. Its ugly from the get go.

Certainly someone out there is growing its ugly cousin they can post?
wzbt03

Ugly

Post by wzbt03 »

The other side of ugly - still ugly!
Attachments
The other side of ugly.jpg
The other side of ugly.jpg (19.59 KiB) Viewed 875 times
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

My experience with hypoleuca seedlings is exactly like yours. It's a genetic trait, but they look better in the second year.
By better, I mean not getting the early leaf damage. They still have very odd looking leaves. Of course, I want hostas that look different from what we already have so that's a good thing sometimes.
New Topic Post Reply