Need expert assistance

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Need expert assistance

Post by addieotto »

I have three hosta that I got at hosta college that I have been growing under lights. One of these (Chodai Ginyo) is a tall division about the size of, ohh... a compact car. It was an amazing auction win (thank you hosta college auction :D !) but it is so big that I have precariously perched on the edge of a shelf, two shelves below the lights, to keep the leaves from hitting the bulbs but still close enough to work.

It has outgrown my ability to keep it inside but since I've never done hosta under lights I have no idea at what temperature I can move this plant outside.

Can someone with experience moving plants from under lights to outdoors give me a bit of advice? Some of my outdoor hosta is just beginning to unfurl.
SUE
My hosta blog: http://myhostagardens.com
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I've never grown hostas under lights, but I don't think you'll want to move this one outside permanently until after your last frost date. [Mid-May here in SW Iowa.] And just take it out a few hours at a time [in a shaded spot] & gradually expose it to a little longer outside over the next month or so.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Others may have better informed ideas than I do but I would do as Reldon suggested except that if you place it outdoors in a shaded spot you won't have to be concerned about leaving it out for too many hours. Also, I would not put it out if the temperature is below 55-60 F. If your night time temperature stays above 50 F. or so, I think it would be safe to leave it out full time.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Adding to those good suggestions, choose a damp or dreary windless day so the plant can get acclimated to the dryer outside air. . . .or you can bag it in clear plastic to hold humidity and protect from any wind.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
addieotto

Post by addieotto »

Thanks Hank and Reldon,

I am just past my frost date but night time temperatures are expected to be 39-45F this week :???: . I am hardening off seedlings right now but I was questioning the hosta because of the temps.

It's so tall it won't fit in a cold frame, it's up to my knees! Temps hit 60F today so I gave it a bit of sheltered outside time but with night temps expected to continue to drop and a crazy storm coming tomorrow, I guess I'll have to keep bringing it in.

I feel sorry for the poor thing :cry: . Some of the leaves are discolored because it started to grow into the lights before I figured out how to balance it on the edge of a lower shelf. And it's a miracle it hasn't fallen off the shelf the way it's propped up there. I'm just not an indoor plant sort of person. This is my first year doing anything besides seeds indoors. At least I know it will rebound once I get it outdoors.

I'll have to suck it up and wait till we get above 55-60F unless anyone has any other thoughts (besides moving to a larger house or building a garage which are great ideas but might not help in the immediate future).

Thanks!
SUE
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Meanwhile keep it next to your brightest window. :D
My Hosta List

addieotto

Post by addieotto »

Here it is back on the shelf - although I moved a couple of books out from under it so it was far enough away from the lights to see it for the photo. Carefully balanced on books that are held in place by other books. Hard to judge the size from the photo but it's about 18 inches tall including the pot.

Yeah, I need a new house.... with a dungeon like leafmould.

Sue
Attachments
pix 056.jpg
pix 056.jpg (38.97 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
SUE
addieotto

Post by addieotto »

Thanks Mary Ann but I think it would try to break through a window! I think it ate a few annual seedlings that gave it an attitude.

Sue
SUE
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Finding space for plants indoors this time of the year is always tricky for me. I have pale green amarylis and sweet potato vine growing in my dark garage and did you see the dormant hosta trying to grow in my refrigerator? :lol:
Attachments
December 2 033.jpg
My Hosta List

newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I still say that looks like bunnies trying to escape that bag. :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

And if DH ever looked into that crisper drawer, Joan, he'd see a moldy, rotten head of lettuce and toss it out. :lol:
My Hosta List

addieotto

Post by addieotto »

At least your rabbits are almost dormant! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't have any room in my house for plants. I live in a tiny little shack. I really shouldn't be growing as many other seedlings as I am but I can't stop. We have to move unsprouted seed trays to make dinner. :roll: :-? :-? :-? When I start working with hosta seed next year... well then it WILL be time to build a bigger house. :o

This hosta would be easier if it was a seedling... or a young TC... but then it also wouldn't be so cool. 8-)

Sue
SUE
New Topic Post Reply