Pic of the Day--June

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

jgh

Post by jgh »

Just flew in from China... and boy are my arms tired!

Been up for about 24 hours... Jet-lagged and unable to do anything productive, I'm checking in at the forum. Saw the June posting... since it is my favorite, I had to read it. Read one response that I thought was really smart - then realized it was one I wrote! I love it when I agree with myself!

But seriously...
I didn't know there was any question about the heritage of June Fever. I was just going by the Naylor catalog - I bought my wholesale plants from them... and June Fever is described as a PPAF sport from June.

I think sporting from variegated to solid is pretty common... so I'd expect green sports to be thrown from June Fever and I'd expect them to look like the basic green from higher up the family tree - Devon Green.

And sporting from a light-centered to an even more centered sport... again, not that uncommon... so the June to June Fever sport seemed pretty believable. On the other hand, of all the Halcyon and Devon Green and blue and green sports I've pulled off June and the family, none of them have ever sported to a light-centered plant. I'd be pretty thrilled if they did. So I guess I never questioned the original listing of June Fever... it just kind of made sense...

I guess Jan will have to confirm this for us... :)
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

To add to the confusion....I have never had a blue sport from 'June' herself, they have always been green. I actually cut a great big sport off a few years ago and labeled it 'Devon Green' :-? :D
Wild Dog

Post by Wild Dog »

I have never had a blue sport from 'June' herself, they have always been green
Rox
June is one my favorites, only had one reversion or sport guess I don't know the difference and it is a beautiful blue. I had 4 planted in a diamond shape and one started putting off a blue eye so I encouraged it rather than cutting it off.

Conflict is as addictive as
Cocaine, Alcohol, Cigarettes
I’m sorry to report
That cooperation is not
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

Beautiful pic Butch!!!
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Glad you're back jgh! Looking forward to details and photos of your trip when you get rested up!

My June partly 'reverted' to a Halcyon or Halcyon look alike last year. Well, I guess it was one eye that came up. I separated it our and it is growing like gangbusters.

It's quite a lovely family for sure!

Great pic, WD!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Wild Dog

Post by Wild Dog »

Guess I misspoke a bit, I was referring to a blue or green sport. I dug a large June to give my nephew a large division and replanted one division, which came back as this little sport. It comes up and turns yellow sooner and the yellow appears in less light than is usually required for June.

The size in the photo, which is in front of a mature June, is the full size of this un-named sport.

Conflict is as addictive as
Cocaine, Alcohol, Cigarettes
I’m sorry to report
That cooperation is not
tsbccowboy
Location: Apple Valley, Minnesota 44°43'39.50"N 93°14'52.40"W

Re: Pic of the Day--June

Post by tsbccowboy »

Always a favorite.

With patience, see what happens. It is hard to believe it is the same Hosta.

June
8/23/04

June
8/23/04

2 Junes
7/25/07

June
6/14/09 (one of the two "June' Hostas was moved.)

June
6/5/11

June
7/22/13
New Topic Post Reply