Weekend project

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

HostaDesigner

Weekend project

Post by HostaDesigner »

I order 3000lbs of "lilac" flagstone last weekend. I've been chomping at the bit to get the new path done. The flagstone was finally delivered yesterday! :P All that's left to add are the new hostas in the soon-to-be added gardens surrounding the flagstone. Man, what a pain to get the stones to fit nicely, but it's sure worth the trouble.

On another note, here's last year's "natural" hosta path in the side yard. Nothing poking thru yet besides trilliums and early wildflowers (thankfully). Looking forward to another good year of growth.
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Post by addieotto »

Looks gorgeous! Of course it will look even better with hosta draping over the edge!! :wink:
SUE
My hosta blog: http://myhostagardens.com
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Looks great!! :P You sure did a nice job of placement.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
wzbt03

Nice

Post by wzbt03 »

Very nice path.

You did a great job with the stone.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Perfect looking patch of natural stones... I know it is a puzzle and do hours :wink:

Strange to look at your last pic... haven't seen anything as bare for more than a year.. here the Japane Cherry trees are blooming .. and the hostas are peeking up or unfurling.. .. normally no more frosts on this island, but the next nonth it is official possible :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Did you have to chip a lot of them to get them to fit so well? Or are you so talented or just plain lucky? We want to see the before, and during pictures. :D
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

The walks look great! Nice job! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Beautifully done! Such a serene and natural looking path. It's really going to look gorgeous when all the hostas are leafed out. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

Looks great

you are lucky it was dry enough to get it done everything here is a wet mess right now. Not being able to get out and do anything is making me crazy.
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Looking good! :wink: What a wonderul flagstone walk! I'd like to know what you set it in. Looks like sand...is it? Anyway, a wonderful job, and you must post pics when the hostas on your side yard are awake, and also when the new ones planted along the stone walk are in.
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

Mary Ann wrote:Did you have to chip a lot of them to get them to fit so well? Or are you so talented or just plain lucky? We want to see the before, and during pictures. :D
Actually about 95% of them were fit as is! There were a few nicks taken off here and there, but for the most part it went smooth. There was a LOT of standing around looking, and scratching my head. :lol: Unfortunately, there are only "after" pictures. :wink:
playinmud wrote: I'd like to know what you set it in. Looks like sand...is it?
The flagstone is set in pea gravel. It easier to level, it drains nice, and it'll help with the weeds. After I get it all edged, the gravel will be hidden more. A fun project! I'll post more pics as the season progresses!
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

came back to look again

how deep is the gravel base?
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

Beautiful pathways.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
barbara

Post by barbara »

You're hired! :wink: :lol: Looks great. If I ever win the lotto, a whole area right of the kitchen would get that treatment. Enjoy! and yes, I'd love to see more pix. through the season. :D
jgh

Post by jgh »

I love your "supervisor" - sitting back on the handrail...
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

Beautiful...and boy, are you fast! I would have been rearranging rocks for a month! I have had a rock obsession longer than I have had a hosta obsession and just love laying stone. All my main gardens have raised beds built with with cut stone and fieldstone, and I bet it takes me longer to arrange the rocks than it does to arrange the hosta (hehe). Found a local guy with a rock quarry that just loved his two hosta and wanted more...so we trade...a deal made in heaven (hehe).

wanda
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

Wanda wrote:I have had a rock obsession longer than I have had a hosta obsession and just love laying stone. All my main gardens have raised beds built with with cut stone and fieldstone, and I bet it takes me longer to arrange the rocks than it does to arrange the hosta (hehe).
I hear ya! I was lucky enough to find property that butts up against a farmer's field. For years, the rocks in his field have been tossed aside onto the back of my property. I have quite a collection back there now. Everything from 8 to 800lbs is slowly making its way into my gardens. As you can see... :P
jgh wrote:I love your "supervisor" - sitting back on the handrail...
Ha! Here's the other one. Supervising is hard work.
greenguy wrote:how deep is the gravel base?
It actually tapers from 1" closest to the house down to about 2" to the outer edge. The very outer edge is completely backfilled with gravel because I had to bury 4" drain pipe to carry drainage out of the yard. It drains out past the fence visible in the first pic. The path was originally built to conceal the drainage backfill.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

That looks just great!!! But then, how could you go wrong, with two such obviously talented supervisors.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Wonderful pics (I love the supervisors)! :D :D

Love the walk too and how it ties the deck to the other concrete walk. And what wonderful high trees you have! But hmmmmm, there's an awful lot of grass there LOL!!! I see lots of room for more hostas. Hee, hee. :wink: :wink:
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
Libby

Post by Libby »

Just fantastic! You made it look easy but I know there's a lot of hard work involved. Will be looking forward to more of your photos!
New Topic Post Reply