compost question

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
poppi

compost question

Post by poppi »

I just received a truck load of composted horse manure. :D I would like to use it as a top dressing...or mulch. Is it OK to use it that way? :-? I wasn't sure if that would be too much nitrogen but I seem to remember somewhere that you can mulch with compost. Any help you can provide will be much appreciated.

Thanks, poppi
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

As long as it fully composted I would apply it. I use all of my yard waste (clippings and leaves) as compost/mulch every year. I apply yards and yards of it. The plants love it.
barbara

Post by barbara »

Was spreading horse manure around this afternoon, do it each year here and there. Does wonders. :D Its not really a hot manure like some others, so I don't even wait...often its straight from the horses mouth...well, the other end :wink: never had a problem!
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

I know this is away from the forum, but this is interesting.. I have allways heard it had to lay and damp off at least ½ to 1 year before you could use it in the garden.

It have been the reason I have never used it other than a bit added to the compost bin...

I live in the middle of a city... no words needed :lol:

But if it could b used fresh... it could be fun to see the face of the grosery shops custumers, just next door...

:hmm: I have used it fresh in the greenhouse for heating up the temps for tomatoes and cucumbers...

Can it really be used straight in the garden :o
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

my experience is that horse is pretty hot but cow is better to use straight from the source.:eek::lol::eek:
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

:o :o Okay.......

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
barbara

Post by barbara »

o.k. theres horse manure, and then there's horse manure! depends on the bedding, I guess. If its straw, yup it can get a little hot if heaped up, but if its sawdust or shavings, and the person doing the mucking only picks out the bad, you really don't have anything to heat it up. Personally I use both, depending whats happening in the barn, and a sprinkling never hurt, although fresh. All my raised beds are horse manure, some has sat for 4 months before I planted in it, and some not. BTW, I never notice an odor, but sure can tell when there's a cow close by :lol:
thy

Post by thy »

You never had a bag of it--- inside your car :lol:
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

My rule of thumb for judging any manure-based compost for immediate use is easy...if it looks like sh!t or smells like sh!t...it isn’t compost yet and needs to age longer before use.

If it is a dark, lightweight, crumbly material that all looks the same (not much is recognizable as bedding, added plant waste or cow pies), has an earthy scent rather than manure scent and you wouldn’t mind sticking your bare hands in it...its ready to use.

Plants LOVE compost - it feeds them and improves the soil conditions at the same time. I build all my raised beds by adding 18-24” of a 50/50 mix of composted cow manure and leafmould, and add a few inches of the same mix for a mulch each year. Just don’t put the mulch down touching the stems of your plants.

wanda
sugar

Post by sugar »

thy,

I live in the center of a city as well, so no manure over here. I use birds & bats 'guano' , together with my homebrew compost
poppi

Post by poppi »

Thanks everyone...this weekend is going to be nice...so it looks like I'll be doing some mulching!
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Poppi I hope you'll take some pics when you're done and post them here, I just love your gardens!

Have fun!! :D :D
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
poppi

Post by poppi »

Mud, thanks for your interest in the garden. I know it took quite a beating during the last freeze, but I think it'll be OK once the leaves are all the way out. If not...oh well, not much I can do about it.

Here are a few pics from last year while we wait for this years emergence.

Thanks for looking
thy

Post by thy »

Thanks for sharing, it will be greatt to see them all again :D
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Oh Poppi thanks for the hotsa fix! Love your yard, you will never bore me, I can never get enough.

Hope everything survived for you. I seem to have had some loss, don't want to even look until things start to leaf out...I know some are late arrivals. Patience is not one of my strong points! LOL!
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

:o

Wow Poppi, Nice pics!
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

You have a beautiful garden, Poppi!! :P :cool:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

really beautiful, Poppi!!! Beautiful job of combining hostas and others. I can tell I will be referring back to these pics often for ideas! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

That's just Beautiful Poppi!
New Topic Post Reply