Pic of the Day--Abba Dabba Do

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Linda P

Post by Linda P »

This is a plant I bought as Sunpower a number of years ago. It's obviously not, but it could be a sport. It was just settling in, perhaps the second year I had it, when a neighboring plant showed up with a nematode infestation. I tossed the infested plant, and dug this one up and heat treated it and moved it to an isolated location. It's never shown any signs of neemies, but the treatment set it back terribly.
Linda P
Attachments
This is pretty close on the color.  The centers are closer to lime green than yellow, and the edge is a pale creamy yellow.
This is pretty close on the color. The centers are closer to lime green than yellow, and the edge is a pale creamy yellow.
Sunpower sport June 18.JPG (43.47 KiB) Viewed 986 times
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
jgh

Post by jgh »

Great pics, Linda... love the "crowded" look... you've got what I like best about a mass hosta planting... the interplay of height and colors and leaf textures makes for a tapestry look.

Sometimes when I want to get an impression of a garden, I blur my eyes a little and let the whole impression blend. Sometimes that ends up giving the impression of a blur of greens with maybe flashes of color from blooms. With your planting, I get the impression of the interweaving of colors and textures, like a muted tapestry. Nice!

P.S. Mom always liked me best.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

jgh wrote:
P.S. Mom always liked me best.
:lol: .. :lol: .. :lol:
Libby

Post by Libby »

:lol: You guys are too funny!
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Great pics everyone!! :cool: :P And the sibling rivalry Hank & Jim are latently manifesting is pretty amusing too. :wink: :lol: :lol:

I'm with Linda - now that I've seen Roxanne's Atlantis again, it's on my hosta~lust list. :wink:

Charla - if you still have a front yard, you are NOT out of room for hostas yet. Not even close!! :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Jim...thanks for your great compliment. I use the squinting approach to decide where to plant things, and also use it when editing the beds. (I learned it from my days as a quilting instructor, but it works just as well in gardening)
I'm kind of wondering if you're a bit delusional on the 'mom liked me best' thing. However, you were always the one who couldn't be ignored.... :lol: ......, therefore, I'm sure you did get the most attention. :roll: :P :D
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Pic of the Day--Abba Dabba Do

Post by thy »

Jim, Linda do any of you have an update ?

My sons looked like the 3. pic in Hanks garden... the first pics in this topic

Thanks for bringing it back to us :D

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply