Freeze/crown rot

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Libby

Freeze/crown rot

Post by Libby »

I did another round of clean up today, trying to take the wait and see approach for each hosta as to the extent of the freeze damage. One thing I notice is the hostas are slower to unfurl - a bad thing, I guess from the injured leaf tissue? My hope that some of the inner leaves were protected is pretty much dashed for the majority, have to remember this wasn't just a bad night of frost it was 13 days of below freezing temps. If anything, the damage was worse than it looked at first.

While I'm watching this play out and try to save what I can, I have to wonder how fast crown rot can set in? Several times I could get a whiff of rotting plant material and I'm afraid I already waited too long! Quite a few are now completely cut back to the ground and it's a terrible sight, but is there something I can do to preventive crown rot? Leave the areas unmulched for aeration and spraying the pathetic severed eye stumps :cry: :cry: with a 10% bleach solution maybe?
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

I suffered the same losses here. I hope someone has the answer to this question.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

Mine have also suffered from the freezing temps. Hope someone can offer suggestions. I have frozen white tips on the old hostas and wanted to move them and redo that part of the hosta bed. If I dig them and put them in a pot until I have the bed redone will this stress them more. Hope the experts have some suggestions.
Thanks,
Sue
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

My Korean Snow's leaves were mush....so I could loose it? Should I dig and see if the crown is mush? :hmm:

Thanks!!
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

A transplantation stress them, but if it is needed for checking out the crown , you have to do it...
Anyone disagr :-? eing
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
thy

Post by thy »

Kathleen, only tried it with a very few, but I would gently remove the soil from top of it, then use a fingernail to scratch the surface of the crown ... if it is soft, dig it up and dig out all soft things... let it dry out for a few days and then plant it in the soil again. :wink:

Pia
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Thanks Pia!! I will do that tomorrow for sure...I am off and plan on doing stuff outside..... :D
thy

Post by thy »

:wink:

But did you really had to send te cold this way :cry:

not sure how cold, but something around the frezing point... hope it stay at or above that :evil:

Know for sure in the weekend :???:
MikeWI

Post by MikeWI »

I've been there in the past and I wish us all luck for having to deal with such a late and hard and long freeze.
Mike
Milwaukee
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

When making cuts to clean up mushy eyes or crown, use the sharpest tool you can - dull or jagged blades will bruise or tear tissue causing even further damage. Rather than digging them up to operate on them and cause them more stress, just brush the dirt well away from the damaged eyes or crown material and don’t let dirt touch your tool or the cut surfaces...lots of pathogens in the soil. I used exacto blades when I got bad freeze damage a few years ago - and just put in a new blade for each plant (I buy them by 100s for my carving). I blotted each cut with a fresh pc. of paper towel barely moist with bleach & water to kill any pathogens, then let the cuts dry and callous over before replacing the dirt over the crowns. A lot of the mushy eyes had to be removed like potato eyes...the mush penetrated the crown material right under some of the eyes. I didn’t lose a single one (that time), but a number of them were set back a few years.

Hosta being damaged by cold I have come to expect...but this is the first time since I started gardening (lets say about 30 yrs) that I have had tulips, hyacinths and daffodils damaged by cold. Some of my tulips look like something Picasso imagined...there are tulip leaves and tulip flowers...but not truly recognizable as tulips without rather intense study (hehe).

wanda
Libby

Post by Libby »

Pia and Wanda, thank you. I'm negligent in checking the crown for soft areas and used scissors that qualify as dull. With 23 hostas at the mush level X an average of 9 eyes apiece = I need to get back out there. Or take up golf and ignore them. :wink: Good luck to everyone out there!
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hmmm....I used scissors, too, times 110 hostas, new scissors though, but I wasn't very careful. :eek: I cut them off about 3/4 to 1" above soil level and it's been 2 days now. They were all mush except a few that I trimmed mushy leaves around new shoots. Should I do anything?
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply