Crows & Hostas

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Crows & Hostas

Post by kHT »

I have a couple of mating crows in the huge pines in my neighbors yard. I first thought that the slugs were getting a couple of my special hosta but low and behold I watch one of the crows tear up the leaves after watching them tear the lower levels of a palm apart for nesting material. My question is there a way to protect my special baby, I go out and scare them off but they keep coming back. You should see what they are doing to the cypress tree. Help!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
SeaOctapus

Post by SeaOctapus »

Make a cover of chicken wire with wood post to hold it together and not colapse? Probably dig a hole in the ground so the birds can't tip it over.
Never have ice cream while reading a good book!
Jade Dragon Hostas
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Well, this is a new one on me. I've seen crows fixate on things before, and seen them go around the yard gathering odd things for their nests, but so far I've never had one decide it needed a hosta rug. I'd guess that you'll have to cover it with something until they're done with their nest building.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Thanks as I was puzzled until I watched these two pairs in action. They have totally stripped the palm's lower level and they did a number on the tree bark. But what hurt was the hosta damage to my Janet hosta. :cry: We are planning on covering and adding maybe something that will move to scare them?? Thanks for your help as I know these crows love it here. :???:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
New Topic Post Reply