'Minnesota Nice' for druff & Roxanne & Linda P...

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Well HI to you too Rox

It was a wonderful day!!!!! Look forward to Linda P's gathering.

I here ya about the frozen eyes, got plenty of those to. When seeing Renaldo's War Paint, I really wanted to whine, ours look really bad. Tops where frozen off, as many others, some I am not even going to try and save, just going to dig them out and toss. They are huge, and are really going to look to ugly to mess with. The smell of hostas rotting off and then turning to mush. Slugs should have a hay day, or rather a big "Hosta Fest".

Sure hoping we dont get even a later frost. Living in Pella all my life and going to Tulip Time parades at night. We in Pella have learned not to put away our winter clothes until after TT. I remember many times also coming home from night parades and covering tomato plants. Well heck with tomatoes, now it's hostas.

Lucy Goose, sorry to hear about your loss of hostas. I am sure that we can help you out replacing a few of those hostas. Look for a PM.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

LucyGoose wrote::lol:

Charla.....maybe we BOTH can get one of those EXTRA eyes he seems to have now..... :P
Well, I think he did say he had two. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Charla/Lucy..... :o What am I gonna do with you 2?? :roll:

I know what I'm NOT going to do. :wink: :lol: :lol:

That day at Jimmy's sure was a lot of fun!! :P I hope I'm able to make it over to Linda's when she hosts.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Trudy wrote: ITops where frozen off, as many others, some I am not even going to try and save, just going to dig them out and toss. .
Trudy, I am kinda a newbie at this, and most of my hosta were frozen to the ground after being substantially leafed out, but I just cut off the mush to about 3/4" from the ground and it doesn't look like I have lost even one....they are all starting to sprout, so I was curious about you digging yours up to throw away...did they die? :roll: :-? :cry:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I'm still planning to have the get-together. I've been paging through my calendar, trying to see where to fit it in.
Now, people, don't mistake my 'niceness' for turning down a piece of that great Minnesota Nice! I'm going to keep my place firmly in line!!!
:lol: :wink: :lol:
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
druff

Post by druff »

hey renaldo, was off line this weekend. i took a road trip to wisconsin. gotta spread the niceness to the other states too.
:P

the minnesota nice is looking great. its one of those that looks spectacular in spring. tell me if you get those extra flushes of color with it. that is what is supposed to make it different from v. maculata.

doug
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks, Doug. I hope you had a good road trip!! :P I'll do that - I was just reading about those extra flushes a while back when I was working on my spreadsheet. I didn't realize Minnesota Nice did that until then so I plan to keep my eye on it pretty closely. The watering I gave it after transplanting made it look like it had always been in that spot. Last nite's rain & cooler temps will help it get settled in too.

Don't worry, Linda - you're at the top of my list. [Actually your name is the only one still on the list for this one.] :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

What a lovely hosta Renaldo. Thanks for sharing. :D :D Sorry I didn't jump into this thread until today, it was a fun read!

JGH, not all NJ drivers are that bad!! Its just that we're all in a hurry, we've got places to go and people to see! LOL!! :o :o I guess if one of my seedlings ends up being a fast grower, that rudely crowds all the others out, I'll name it NJ Turnpike. LOL!! :wink:
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

playinmud wrote: I guess if one of my seedlings ends up being a fast grower, that rudely crowds all the others out, I'll name it NJ Turnpike. LOL!! :wink:
That is tooooo funny Donna!!!
Reldon...you're at the top of my list, too.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Jimmy Mac

Post by Jimmy Mac »

Hi all
Linda P. hope you don't plan on the gathering the 23 of June.We will be busy that weekend.We plan on comeing when ever it is.Just that weekend is spoken for.It will be nice to go and look for a change.Just like the card draw last year was on and i couldn't get in it.Had some local people thinking we were a open house and stopped by to look.So i was showing them around.That and digging seedlings.Boy you guys wanted alot of seedlings.Hope they all came back this year? Jimmy
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Charla

Didn't really want to high jack this thread, but here goes, sorry Renaldo.

Better explain my statement. The hostas that got most of the frost damage, are the hostas that are planted next to a timber, in very bad heavy clay soil.

When the bed was made, we used the lasagna method, layering lots of compost and leaves and grasses in the fall. Planted hostas the next spring. Over the years the compost has broken down, and the bed is heavy clay again. Being in a drought for a few summers, the clay soil gets so cracked that when you try and water, the water goes right throught the crack and the plants get no water.

I think the hostas in that area have really been stressed the past few years, which is maybe why they suffered frost damage.

I did check the hostas in that bed today, and they do look a little better, but it seems like one side of the plant is coming back, but they are going to look really bad. Also the hostas have been shrinking in that area, which I believe is from the drought stress.

My intention last summer was to dig each plant up and put into a large pot, and sink it into the ground. I did get a few done, so I will see what the results are when they leaf out. But some of the really big rotten hostas will be dug out and tossed, replaced with other hostas that are needing a home.
New Topic Post Reply