Spring Hostas

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

renaldo75

Spring Hostas

Post by renaldo75 »

It's spring in SW Iowa again!! :P I sure hope it stays warm this time. Or I will be a most unhappy fella... :???:
Attachments
Yellow Splash Rim
Yellow Splash Rim
June
June
English Sunrise
English Sunrise
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Another group. :P
Attachments
Twist of Lime didn't mind the cold too much either
Twist of Lime didn't mind the cold too much either
Wheaton Blue - another one that got moved today
Wheaton Blue - another one that got moved today
Stiletto was completely unfazed by the cold temps - a few leaves got chilled but in another week you'll never know it
Stiletto was completely unfazed by the cold temps - a few leaves got chilled but in another week you'll never know it
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

They look good, Ren! It's so refreshing to see them start to unfurl. I only have one doing that right now.
I have to laugh now, because I find myself scrolling down just far enough to see your "coding system" and then trying to figure out what the hosta is going to be. Then I go look at the actually pic and the full name. I thought "Tofl" was going to be Tokudama Flavocircinalis, but I was wrong since it turned out to be Twist of Lime. :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

"It's spring in SW Iowa again!! I sure hope it stays warm this time. Or I will be a most unhappy fella"
I'm with you on that thought!!!
I'm almost afraid to see them coming up and starting to unfurl. Mine are a little farther behind, but I know they will catch up fast if we keep having such nice temps.
It was so warm yesterday that I could see the progress from morning to night. During the day, my sandhill cherry and serviceberry burst into bloom.
Let's just hope that we don't get another arctic blast this year.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks, Joan. :P My coding system isn't all that hard to figure out, but can be tricky if your not paying close attention I guess. :hmm: 'TofL' is 'Twist of Lime' while 'ToFl' is 'Tokudama Flavocircinalis'. The ones I had a bit of trouble deciding how to do were a couple of Fortuneis: Fortunei Albopicta & Fortunei Albomarginata were the same ['FoAl'] using the 'system' I came up with. :o Without looking at my spreadsheet, I believe they ended up being 'FApi' and 'FAma' respectively. :???:

Linda - my neighbor's cherry tree that hangs over their fence into my yard was in full bloom yesterday. I was watching one of the few butterflies [a buckeye I think] getting a drink off & on all afternoon. :P And even though the leaves are mostly dead on the crab apple tree, it started blooming a couple of days ago. I was amazed cuz a week ago I thought the blooms looked dead too. And the lilacs are the same way. I think most of the buds are OK, but most of the leaves are dead on all of the ones around my yard.
Attachments
Crab Apple blossoms yesterday morning
Crab Apple blossoms yesterday morning
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

They look so freash and good. June is very late here in the shade, but saw it was started in my sons garden :D

Beautiful cabappe flowers :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Nice Reldon!! That about how my hosta's are looking, the ones in the ground.....All showing and a couple like Lemon Lime unfurled.....At lest mine in the ground can cheer me up....

Thanks for the picture's!! :D
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

It's finally Spring in Minnesota too! :D I see eyes, eyes and more eyes!! The cherry trees have blossoms about to open and so does my new weeping crab apple. A couple of more warm days and WOW! It has been raining on and off for the last 2 days and everyday something new is on it's way. Don't ya just love it. Supposed to cool down Tuesday but nighttime lows in the 40's. I'll can live with that. Pretty soon I'll get to see some unfurling too. Can hardly wait :D :D I had a slug picking fest about and hour ago, ran around with a coffee can full of ammonia water and collected all sizes. YUCK!! :eek:
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

I can't wait to see my hostas like yours....They are so beautiful! Snow is melting in my hostas bed so it will be in few weeks :wink:
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Renaldo, your hostas look beautiful and I am so glad! I have had mostly hosta stumps till yesterday when they started to show a tiny bit of growth. They look better today. I think all will be okay. Curious to see how they wind up. Thanks for sharing the pics and I am glad you are seeing that healthy green! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks everybody!! :P We had a few little rains yesterday, but fortunately the bad storms went to the north although we were in a torando watch all afternoon & evening. I wandered around outside for a little bit last evening to see how things are doing. The hostas I had cut back 1st are already showing a bit of growth. So I'll be seeing leaves on most of them before long.

And the word is definitely out on the cherry tree being in full bloom. Last evening there were 6-8 buckeye butterflies partaking of the sweet nectar. I'd never noticed them on that tree before. I would have tried for a pic but it's a little too high to get a good one without a telephoto lens.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

Looking great, Renaldo! Lots of eyes, here...lots of frozen ones, too :eek: :x Things will really start moving after the rain last night. It makes me nervous...
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I just got in from mush patrol. Found a bunch more eyes to cut away, but I was amazed at what the little bit of rain we had yesterday did to the hosta growth. Some are starting to unfurl, and some of the damaged ones were already sending up new eyes. I've seen several butterflies in the past week, but of course I haven't a clue what they were. I should go look them up before I forget what they looked like!
This afternoon I'm going to do patrol on the growing bed, which is really exposed. I expect to find some damage there. Funny how the chickweed just laughed at all that cold and continued to grow. Darn stuff. :evil:
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
sugar

Post by sugar »

I wonder if the Twist of Lime doesn't mind being photographed upside-down (or am I wrong?)
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

LOL You're 1/2 right, Sugar. The pic actually should have been rotated 90 degrees to the right. I tried it when I was editing & liked it better this way. :wink:

We had a nice rain in the nite last nite after a gorgeous 70 degree day yesterday. We may get up to 60 today. The English Sunrise & June leaves were already unfurled yesterday.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

NIce pics Renaldo! When are you going to add the unfurled pics? Would love to see them. :wink: :wink:
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

You NJ drivers sure are in a hurry!! :lol: I've got to take the pics 1st!! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Oh Renaldo. Sigh, now that was hitting below the belt. LOL!!! :D :D Be glad that I didn't use some good old NJ persuasion...I could have said, "Don't make me come out there, take those pics or else!!" LOL!!

Hey, I figured you'd like to walk outside to ogle your babies. You know if I can figure out how to post pics correctly (mine are always too big and I can't figure out how to shrink them) you'll be seeing some of mine soon. They're just peeking out of the soil. Its a wonderful thing.
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I was too tired to even think about taking pics yesterday. A nice gray day here today for taking pics, but I haven't ventured out with the camera yet. :???:

You won't need to bother with the NJ persuasion - I'm sure I'll have new pics on here before you could get here. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Beautiful Hoztas Reynaldo

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D :D It is alwas so good to see them unfurl their leaves from the points.....OC
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
New Topic Post Reply