Spring Hostas

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by toomanyanimals »

renaldo75, are your sure your in zone 4? Cause I'm zone 6 and none of my hostas are as big as your. :cry: Yours look great ... keepem coming.

The majority of mine are in their 2nd year. Last year I bought some from Hallson, a few from a trade and several more from a co-op. I've been peeking at them and I'm so happy :D to say that all but one have eyes popping up.

All my room for Hosta's is used up, so I really hope I've made some good choices.

tma
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Glad you enjoyed them, OC!! :P

TMA, zones can be misleading & have more to do with how cold it can get than how hot. And I think where I am is actually considered Zone 5 now. I've just never remembered to change it on my profile. [Probly cuz the 2 weeks we had with -20 F and -30 to -40 F windchills were just a few years ago, and I haven't forgotten.] :wink: But a couple of nice spring days here can turn to summer for a week or 2 depending on the year. And you have to realize that I'm in SW Iowa - just 30 mi north of the Missouri border. Usually the heatwave waits until closer to the end of April & my tulips just last a week. This year it came early & my daffodils [which can last a month some years] only lasted a week. :???:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Scaz

Post by Scaz »

As much as I hate to admit admiring a Hawkeye, you have a splendid collection, and they look VERY healthy. It's pretty obvious that you are a "Major Gardener". If you spend 3-5 years in Ames and get a degree, pledge your allegiance to the Cardinal and Gold, you will probably achieve the title of "Master Gardener".... easily.... TFPIC

We got your rain that ran north, here in Des Moines. Thus, the sump-pump is still running and I'm still mopping. I had to do vegetable prep this weekend (never before Mother's Day my own almanac tells me), but I can turn some earth and mulch it.

The April freezes mushed up many of the hostas in DSM, but they seem to be coming back. A day and a half of sunshine after the deluge they look pretty good - but not as good as yours.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks for the nice words, Scaz. I don't think you'll need to worry about me spending 3-5 years getting a degree at ISU though. :wink: LOL I could have already been a 'Master Gardener' locally several years ago, but knowing some of the people here who barely garden that already had that designation, I've found it to be a title [used to show superiority] & not much more than that. :???: Thank you, no. [And tell me another story. :roll: ]

And you're only seeing the hostas that are looking good & were barely out of the ground and easily covered with soil so they survived the cold. Not all the ones I had covered w/pots for a week+ that had to be cut back. :???: Some of them are coming along faster than others. Hopefully they haven't been affected too adversely.

I visited a friend in NE Ankeny 2 weekends ago at the time of the ROHS meeting. Some of the hostas I'd planted there several years ago were just emerging. And I had to look pretty closely to find them. So I know that things were definitely ahead of schedule down here in SW IA.

Have a good gardening year!! :P Good to see you back.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
New Topic Post Reply