H. Skylight

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
NWhosta4life

H. Skylight

Post by NWhosta4life »

So whats the word on the stegmans hosta -skylight...the pics look awesome in the cataloges and i've wanted it since it was introduced but have been waiting for the price to go down. Anybody growing it? Is it as blue as it looks? Hows the growth rate?
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

I got this one late last summer and am anxious to see it in a couple weeks. I've heard it is as good as the pictures...
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

That does look blue. I guess breeders will always be looking for the "ultimate" blue hosta. I just got Prairie Sky delivered from Plant Delights (exclusively theirs via Hans Hansen, for now), and it looks like it will be "best of the blues" here. Until the next one comes along, that is.
NWhosta4life

Post by NWhosta4life »

Thanks for the info. I am interested in prairie sky as well but held out last year for the price drop. Anyone else grow skylight? :-?
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

I added it last spring. It is that blue, and huge, in my high shade. It is coming up now, nothing open yet. Mr. Stegman told me they grew the ones from tc that I bought from the supplier I purchased it from in their yard, lol. I love it. I will have to look and see if it has increased from last season. I think I got one or two eyes last year.
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

Get it!!!
jgh

Post by jgh »

re: Prairie Sky... it's in Shady Oaks wholesale tc catalog for under $5, so it should be around and the price should come down significantly in 2-3 years.

edit: wow, Tigger... I don't know how they could claim any exclusivity... it was also in last year's Shady Oaks catalog, so lots of people should have them this year...
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

I don't know for sure about exclusivity, but it was the only place I saw it this year. It was shown (the same picture) at the convention last year in a "what's hot in hostas" talk in which Hans participated. It may be that Tony/PDN gets a head start on selling Hans's own discoveries, as what I got sure ain't no baby TC.
New Topic Post Reply