OC's Trip to the SC Botannical Gardens yesterday

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

OC's Trip to the SC Botannical Gardens yesterday

Post by oldcoot »

:???: :x :???: If it hadn't been for the Hostas yesterday it would have been a waste of time to have gone. They got hit hard by the freeze this Easter, like OC did , and they are a 3 hr drive SOUTH of him. Only thing standing were some daffodils in the woods protected by some Azaleas, and some Hosta that looked real nice. Said that it was recognized by the AHS as a show garden and here's the sign to prove it.

They did have a lot of Cinnamon ferns which escaped the freeze also. they have 500 different Hosta Types and over 1500 plants. Most had Labels, but we were no allowed off the paths if you could call them that, more like woods trails. Had a really rough time with my scooter. Joy gave out, I went on with the group and she sat on a bench and waited for me.

They did have some beautiful Hosta......and Ferns and a few Hellebore's....in full bloom. Unfortunately most of my pictures did not turn out well, because they there was too much"dappled" sunshine...making exact exposure difficult

Enjoy what OC DID get...............Particularly the CAROLINA SUNSHNE. Beautiful Yellow edges....
Attachments
Cinnamo Fern- SCBG -.jpg
Cinnamo Fern- SCBG -.jpg (45.42 KiB) Viewed 668 times
H-Ccarolina Sunshine.jpg
H-Ccarolina Sunshine.jpg (36.67 KiB) Viewed 668 times
AHS SIGN.jpg
AHS SIGN.jpg (40.55 KiB) Viewed 668 times
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

That Carolina Sunshine is a nice looking hosta. I've see the name but never the hosta. :P Sounds like you had a good day, OC - in spite of the rough ride & not getting to see as much as you hoped.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Beautiful pic of Carolina Sunshine, OC! Sorry the trip didn't live up to your expectations, but you know how unpredictable Mother Nature can be. :???: Thanks for sharing your trip with us. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I gotta be quick.....running out the door.....

Coot, I do love that CS....WOW! I am glad you had a fun day....Hug Joy for me, and you REST .....That was a big day for you.....Thanks for sharing it with us John!!! Huggs!!!

Lucy.....off to work!
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Hosta: Lilac Giant

Post by oldcoot »

Thanks everybody. Thanks to my new addiction(Hostas) I managed to get a few pictures. They really had some beautiful Hostas. a lot of them were really large, but back off the trail they called a path. This was one I shot with the big lens (300 mm) so did pretty good.

They really made it worth the trip. Now that I am rested up, I can appreciate them more. When OC came home that night, he ate some fruit Joy had, took a shower and was in bed at 6:30. Slept for 12 straight hours and when he got up was still tired. But today he is FINE again. Thank you Lord.

Enjoy this pretty Hosta - OC surely did..
Attachments
Hosta - Lilac Giant SCBG.jpg
Hosta - Lilac Giant SCBG.jpg (40.14 KiB) Viewed 597 times
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Coot!!

Glad your feeling better now!! Lilac Giant? Boy, never heard of it....sure is pretty!!

Thanks for sharing!! :D
New Topic Post Reply