Hosta Watering question....

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
hummingbird
USDA Zone: 9b

Hosta Watering question....

Post by hummingbird »

Does anyone here use an automatic sprinkler system? If so how much water should I be dedicating to the hosta gardens per week. If you can convert it into GPH, this would help a great deal so we know how to adjust the sprinkler system correctly.

I haven't a clue :-?
"Friends are as elusive as rainbows"
Seedseller1

Post by Seedseller1 »

Hi Rachel!

Sounds like one more question associated with moving to your new location--hope everything is going well!

I do not have an automated sprinkler system, but do have a couple thoughts to share. I would guess that the amount of water needed to keep the plants happy would be deterimened by the water holding capacity of your soil and the temperature. My prefered "rule of thumb" would be that plants in general need approximately an inch of water per week. A crude but effective way to determine how many GPH this relates to is to do some experimenting with a rain gauge, and timing sprinkling at different GPH's until you get your desired results.

Hope this helps.
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

gph will only help if you know the total area it covers etc.

I would use a cheap rain gauge and run the system to see how long it takes to get 1/2" of water down.

if you look on the sprinklers you should be able to look them up on line to get all kinds of info.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hi, Rachel!

I agree with greenguy about how to determine gph. In fact on my water timer that is what it instructed to do.

Regarding how much water per week...I think that will depend on the type of soil you have. I am not sure about Arvada, CO, but when we lived in Colorado Springs, CO the soil consists of decomposed granite (like...big sand)! Even when people brought in soil to amend it, it was still very porous. Here in Kansas where we have clay soil or just soil-soil, it is better to water less frequently and water deeply. But in CO Spgs you watered less volume, but everyday, because the soil couldn't hold any moisture. I don't know about Arvada soil.

BTW, where is Arvada? What is the elevation? One thing I noticed about CO Springs right away is that the sun variety of plants that bloom had amazing bloom color and size! I guess being closer to the sun and also with the drier air there wasn't fungus and browning, etc. It was more fun growing flowers, but gardening can be a little bit of a challenge. I was reeeeeeally glad to get back to Kansas to some dirt! Sorry....
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Marrakesh

Post by thy »

It is here in a pot on the patio.. I am so happy to have one of Kents hostas here :D

I do not do theme beds, but do have a special thing with Hallson people hostas/plants... :D

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
malaprop

Re: Hosta Watering question....

Post by malaprop »

hummingbird wrote:Does anyone here use an automatic sprinkler system? If so how much water should I be dedicating to the hosta gardens per week. If you can convert it into GPH, this would help a great deal so we know how to adjust the sprinkler system correctly.

I haven't a clue :-?
3x a week for 3 hours each watering. I don't have a clue either, but it's great for vacations, and laziness in general.

I love that cat pix--caught him/her just right.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:lol: So here is where my post ended... pressed the reply buttum instead of the new topic one :oops:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply