Spring Showers

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
HostaDesigner

Spring Showers

Post by HostaDesigner »

Just sitting here this morning before work. Nearly 4 inches of rain here in SW Michigan. Everything is greened out. Looking forward to the nice weekend so I can prepare my seedling bed.

(sips coffee)
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Man, we had a DELUGE last night! I think it was over 2" since 3AM or something (the weather ditz just mentioned it). Anyway it is definitely getting green here too and hostas are beginning to unfurl and look happy.

I love spring, mud and all.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

We got a few inches of rain “up north” in Michigan, too! Perfect timing...been working on the new water feature along the entry path, and had just finished re-lining the 3 ponds/3 waterfalls at 10 pm the night before. The rain finished filling them very nicely. The two big fantail goldfish sitting on my counter in a dishpan will love their new home!

And OMG, the hosta eyes are shooting out of the ground! Gazillions of them!!! Potomac Pride went from 19 eyes last yr. to 38 eyes so far this yr....Fried Bananas from 8 to 17! Looks like it may be a great yr. in the hosta gardens - if I can keep them protected from frosts/freezes between now and the middle of June (hoops & plastic being set up this weekend)! And the foster hosta I moved here last fall are showing big fat eyes...the late move didn’t seem to set the big ones back at all (hallelujah)...there are about a dozen 4 to 5-footers (and more than 6 dozen others).

The native Juneberry trees (amelanchier canadensis), the apples and pear tree are right on the verge of bursting into bloom. A couple dozen huge hyacinths are perfuming the air and the tulips and daffodils are in full bloom. Also have hepatica, vinca, viola, pulmonaria, doroncium and a few other things in bloom...it is starting to look like a garden again!

wanda
(gulping tea...gotta get back outside!)
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Sounds wonderful, you all. I will be looking forward to pictures! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply