transplanting seedlings

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
playinmud

transplanting seedlings

Post by playinmud »

I know it was late, but better late than never.

I finally planted seeds on March 5th...it took many two weeks or more to germinate. The person that I got the seeds from recommended that I sow them in a plastic container with a lid, which I did. They are anywhere from 3/8" to 1/2" high.

My question is...at what size/point should I transplant them into their own individual pots?

Thanks!
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I have only grown from seed this year, but it seems to me you can transplant any time now. I waited till mine were about 8 weeks old and the roots on most were fine, but a couple of the more vigorous ones were getting a little "rooty". All seem to be doing great, though. :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Transplanting seedlings

Post by thehostagourmet »

I transplant into six paks at the two sets of true leaves stage. I cull those that are supposed to be streaked, but aren't, and/or show no redeeming values.

When they begin to get roots out the bottom and are getting root bound, I move them to 2 1/4" pots, still under 7/24 lights. I also cull at this stage. When they get root bound again, they go outside and get moved into quart pots.

George
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Thanks Charla and George!

I'll wait until they get their second leaves, then pot them up. Like the idea of a six pack, others have suggested an upsidedown styrofoam cup too. I'll have to look at the offerings of the local nursery and see what I can find.

Thanks again!
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Seedlings

Post by thehostagourmet »

The styrofoam cups with caps to me seem to be a lot of trouble. The advantage is said to be they're wider at the bottom to let the roots expand. Unless you leave them in the same pot too long without up-potting them, that shouldn't be a problem. My 2 1/4" pots are recyclable, and I bought 1000 a few years ago, so I have plenty. I wash them in hot soapy water, and if I think of it, soak them in 10-20% bleach sloution.

George
Last edited by thehostagourmet on May 01, 2007 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Yeah, easy is definitely important! :o :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

I have had great luck with using deep foil pans -- the half-size steam-table ones -- into which I put about 3-4" of soil, and then "line out" my tiny seedlings, about 20 to 25 to a pan. The soil is deep enough to stay moist longer, and the roots have room to roam. Also, there are always some that don't make it past the two leaf stage, and this way I've not wasted a whole pot of soil on a non-starter. When they have 4-6 leaves, and are getting crowded, then I put them in their own pots. This method saves me a lot of room under the lights, and keeps me from having to turn on additional lights before I really need them. Just remember to poke 8 or so holes in the bottoms of the pans for drainage -- two of them fit into a regular sized flat. Phyllis
New Topic Post Reply