Hosta Gold

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
renaldo75

Hosta Gold

Post by renaldo75 »

When I was out this morning, the early light was hitting a lot of the gold hostas. 8-) :P Kind of amazing cuz it wasn't hitting the others around them that weren't gold. :o :hmm:
Attachments
Kabitan
Kabitan
Proving my point - Twist of Lime is getting hit by light, but Blue Cadet behind it isn't...
Proving my point - Twist of Lime is getting hit by light, but Blue Cadet behind it isn't...
Ophir
Ophir
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Another batch of gold. :D
Attachments
This is one of HostaRod's seedlings that I got in 2004 - I was pleasantly surprised to see it so streaked this spring since it wasn't very streaky last year.
This is one of HostaRod's seedlings that I got in 2004 - I was pleasantly surprised to see it so streaked this spring since it wasn't very streaky last year.
Light even on Hadspen Samphire that mostly got cut back
Light even on Hadspen Samphire that mostly got cut back
Sweet Tater Pie
Sweet Tater Pie
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

:P
Attachments
Dawn's Early Light
Dawn's Early Light
There's so much light on this one that I had to think for a while before I realized it was Summer Breeze.
There's so much light on this one that I had to think for a while before I realized it was Summer Breeze.
Lemon Lime
Lemon Lime
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Last batch of gold. 8-)
Attachments
One of my favorite hostas - especially in the spring - Crested Surf!!
One of my favorite hostas - especially in the spring - Crested Surf!!
A little bit of light is hitting Glory. I've been impressed with how much bigger it's gotten this year finally after just a couple of eyes. There are 7 unfurled & 4 smaller ones that are up several inches.
A little bit of light is hitting Glory. I've been impressed with how much bigger it's gotten this year finally after just a couple of eyes. There are 7 unfurled & 4 smaller ones that are up several inches.
Collector's Banner looks like an ordinary hosta in the spring - it takes a while before it starts showing off it's chameleon-like qualities.
Collector's Banner looks like an ordinary hosta in the spring - it takes a while before it starts showing off it's chameleon-like qualities.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

So Mr. Newton, are you trying to tell us sunlight are attracted to gold like apples to the ground :-?

Sorry.. you know :wink:

Have to look for Creasted Surf tomorrow...
that Dawn's Early Light.. I think I could find a spot for it - lovely

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I don't know what to tell you, Pia :???: - but I'll check again tomorrow & see if the same thing is happening. But not many of the blues were getting the sunshine~spotlight when I was out taking pics.

I sure wish I could send you a couple of eyes of my Crested Surf, Pia. The leaves will get wider, but it always stands out for me and I've got it in a good spot where I can see it a lot. I just love this pic of it with the rippled dark green shadows inside the leaves. 8-)
Attachments
Here's one non-gold that was still getting the gold~star treatment - Revolution.
Here's one non-gold that was still getting the gold~star treatment - Revolution.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Beautiful ,Ren. I sure do love the first one (Ophir). I'll have to keep my eye out for that one. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Hey Renaldo,

After seeing your 'Crested Surf' picture I had to take a quick pee at the HL for some more and couldn't help but notice the ones there all look distinctly variegated. Cannot see any of that on your picture, is CS like a lot of other variegated cultivars where the variegation shows up later on in the season?
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Beautiful, beautiful pics, Renaldo! I see you like yellow and ruffles, too. I really like Ophir, also. I can see I have alot of hostas to keep an eye out for! Not this year, though.... :(
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Great pics Renaldo, perfect timing with the sunlight. I'm gonna have to get a Crested Surf too! :P
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks everybody!! :P

Pieter - [I'm still chuckling at your 'quick pee at the Hosta Library'. :o Try not to get so excited... :wink: ] I noticed that the variegation wasn't visible in that pic, but it's just a result of the intense sunlight I think. If I took a pic of it on this cloudy morning, the creamy margins would stand out.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Well, Renaldo, that's what you get when you do a quicky glance of the new postings first thing in the morning and get something in before you rush off downstairs to let the dog out for his morning constitutional. Normally I would have edited the post, but I'll leave it in, just for laughs :D
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks - I'm still chuckling. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Wonderful hostas Renaldo. :D :D Love the golds. Almost like a ray of sunshine when the sun hits them.

Your hostas are weeks ahead of mine. Most here are just spikes popping out of the ground. Hopefully we'll catch up soon.

Oh, love the crested surf. Going to hunt for one of those...I need it. LOL!
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Renaldo, your file ID system looks mighty complicated. How do you find specific pictures when you're looking for them? I did some abbreviations on my seedlings, now I can't remember what I meant. :(
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Beautiful Pictures everybody

Post by oldcoot »

OC has a Hosta he is not sure about. He has two of them and he believes one (this one) is the one Lucy sent him 2 years ago. the other would be the one he bought from Chris..could they be June ? I figure the disproportionate leaves is due to our freeze, which knocked it down to mush...Was thrilled to death when it came back. It is getting more sun right now than usual this time of year, as we lost all the leaves on the trees in the back yard (they are just now coming back) which would have been shading them, it is in sun almost all day.....

Enjoy and let OC know if this is June. His new tripod is on the way, so maybe the next ones will be sharper..
Attachments
07 Hosta - June.jpg
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Playin - Be thankful your hostas are just poking thru now. I'm not showing the ones that were farther along that got zapped by the cold. :wink: But those are putting out new leaves - it's just taking them a while.

Mary Ann - I am hoping that eventually my photo ID system will actually work for me when I start posting the pics to my Yahoo Pics account. They have upgraded in the last 6 months & have added 'tags'. When/if/maybe/someday I ever get pics from my gardens added there, I intend to use the ID I've given each hosta on those tags & then maybe if I'm very lucky then my theory is that I'll be able to find all of my pics of one certain hosta in that way using the search tool they now have. As I said - it's a theory that hasn't been tested so it remains to be seen.

My ID system makes sense - to me at least. :???: I haven't been using it for long [got the idea from someone else mentioning theirs on here], but it definitely makes labeling pics easier. And I have it in several places on my spreadsheet database. It's based on 3 different things: 1] hosta name & indicates the order they were acquired if I have multiples; 2] year acquired; 3] current location. So for an example the Lemon Lime I have in this post is LeLi5-03-E4. It's the 5th Lemon Lime I got [the 1st 4 were actually one plant that was divided] - the year was 2003 - and it's curently located in bed E4. I have a feeling I may have to leave that last part off when I'm doing the Yahoo tags or I may not be able to find any of the ones I have in folders there.

What I keep telling myself that I need to do is to have a list of hostas in each bed with their ID's in addition to the alphabetical listing I have on my spreadsheet. Sounds like another rainy day project to me. And not hard to do, except for all the hostas in my garden that have already been relocated this spring. Those new raised block beds I built last fall look like overflowing refugee camps.....

OC - I'm not totally sure, but your pic does look quite a bit like June although the margins on the one I have are wider than those.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

A young June will generally have more yellow center than an older June, so that's probably right, OC.

In my garden right now, 'Whiskey Sour,' 'Fire Island,' and 'Designer Genes' are duking it out for who is the most spectacular gold. Fire Island almost has that orange tint that a good 'Orange Marmalade' is supposed to have.
wzbt03

Very Nice

Post by wzbt03 »

Great pictures and I think you have us all wishing we had a Crested Surf.

You also make me anxious to see how my Dawns Early Light does this year.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks, WZBT!! :P I hope all of you who are on the lookout for Crested Surf now is able to find one. I ran across mine in 2002 somewhere [without looking it up I couldn't tell you where] and I've don't recall having seen it for sale anywhere since.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply