They're coming to life!!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
HostaDesigner

They're coming to life!!

Post by HostaDesigner »

... 'bout time too. :wink:

Here's some pics I snapped this evening. I love this time of year.

Here's a seedling of 'Queen Josephine'. This is it's 4th year.

An emerging 'Dawn's Early Light'

Lastly, the sparse woodland hosta path. This'll be filled with seedlings soon!
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

very nice pics! thanks for sharing! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
hostadad

Beautiful

Post by hostadad »

Wow! I really like your choice of perennials, I too am creating a woodland garden. I really like that hosta Queen Josephine, the color is so vibrant! Please send pictures when your garden fills out. Hostas blend so well with the woodland.

David.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Looks wonderful!! :cool: :P I've never seen that many trilliums in one place before. :o No woodland garden here unfortunately. Does the foliage remain or die back after the bloom is over??
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

renaldo75 wrote:Looks wonderful!! :cool: :P I've never seen that many trilliums in one place before. :o No woodland garden here unfortunately. Does the foliage remain or die back after the bloom is over??
Thanks, I love trilliums. I've often thought about collecting them. All of these were moved from either the back of my property, or "rescued" from vacant lots down the road before builders bulldoze them to build another house. We're in a new subdivision, so lots are filling up fast.

As for the foliage, about 1/2 die back and go completely dormant. The other half remain, so seeds can form. By July, you hardly even notice the old trillium foliage.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Keep on rescuing them!! It's good that you're in the neighborhood to save them from ending up at the bottom of the pile. :???: They look beautiful all in bloom. :P

I was also going to ask about your stone bird bath. I always love those & would like to make one. Did you make yours? And if you did could you please give me some pointers on what I need to do or point me to a website?? Thanks!! :P
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Beautiful pics! I love this time of year and your trilliums too. I have about 5 that bloomed for the first time this year and I'm thrilled. :P
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Terrific pics! Thanks for sharing them. Hope you'll post more pics when your hostas unfurl more. And I love the trillium as well, wish we had them here. What kind of conditions do they like? Only thing I've rescued from destruction are May Apples.

The birdbath is terrific too. I'm with Renaldo, would love to know if you made it and get any pointers about creating my own. I have a kazillion seashells and would love to use them in some type garden feature.
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
New Topic Post Reply