Then and now . . . bad year!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Homer_Zn5

Then and now . . . bad year!

Post by Homer_Zn5 »

The South Garden 2006

The South Garden 2007

Luckily, no apparent losses, although some pretty severely hit hostas. Hopefully, it did not set them back too far for next year. :???:
"Purveyor of Trivialities and Fine Nonsense."

Homer's Hosta List
Homer_Zn5

Post by Homer_Zn5 »

Luckily, there are still some bright spots . . .

Homer's Hosta List
MikeWI

Post by MikeWI »

frost damage?
Mike
Milwaukee
Homer_Zn5

Post by Homer_Zn5 »

MikeWI wrote:frost damage?
I guess you could call it that. We had a week of weather in the 70's and 80's in late March, followed by two weeks of weather with lows in the teens and highs in the 30's. As you can imagine, all the early hostas were leafed out or on their way. With lows that low, there was no covering and saving plants for two weeks.

Some have sprung back amazingly well. Others are going to look crummy for a year or at least the first half of the year, and others were set back hard or lost. I have a lot of Endless Summer Hydrangeas that look like they may have been hit too hard. :x

Homer's Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

So sorry, Homer. :(
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

So sad :cry:

Glad you didn't loose any
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Thank goodness you didn't lose any! I'm still waiting for some of mine to pop out of the ground to tally up my losses for this year. I've already dug up several to try and save them. We had such a weird winter and the weather this year has really messed them up. :???:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Homer_Zn5

Post by Homer_Zn5 »

Unfortunately, I did lose some. I haven't taken the total tally yet, but I know I lost Brother Stefan, Little Sunspot, Tattoo, and T-Rex. :evil:

Homer's Hosta List
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

Ouch!!!! I feel for you....just stinks!!
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I was afraid to look at this post. I was pretty fortunate this year, just a handful that got hit hard. Most of my hostas had the good sense to stay asleep until after the cold went away, but some were just in a hurry and got frozen back to the ground. Some of them look reeeaaaallly strange...half of the hosta has normal leaves, and the other half has little stunted, frost-damaged ones.
I'm sorry about your losses, but glad that many survived.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
MikeWI

Post by MikeWI »

Well you can find the silver lining... it looks like it would be a good time to add some mulch or maybe lay down some compost or maybe some soaker hoses.... lots of room to work.... :roll:
Mike
Milwaukee
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Sorry to see you have so many set back & your losses, Homer. But the ones that look good look fantastic!! :P
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Minnow
USDA Zone: 6
Location: Henderson County 35 19' 12.15" N 82 35' 40.40" W Elevation2143

Post by Minnow »

I am in the smae boat as you! :( :( :(
Some of my early big ones got it good over Easter weekend, but all of those late common ones still look great. Now all we need is some rain! :o

By the way the one I did protect was Repitillian, only a few leaf tips look like crap still.
Elizabeth

No man needs a vacation as bad as the man who has just had one.
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

sorry to hear, it is going to be a bad year for losses i think.

Same story here.

I also think my t-rex is toast - one eye pre-snow and now nothing - it was new last year. Still holding out some hope, just less and less everyday.
Homer_Zn5

Post by Homer_Zn5 »

I will admit that I feel pretty fortunate, considering the bad weather and horrible timing. Most of my Plantiginea types were hit worse than anything else. Guacamole and Mistress Maybel are probably the worst of all my mature hostas--only little new dormant eyes coming up all over from where the MANY (30+) adult eyes were ALL zapped back to the ground. :evil:

Mike, I've got to agree that this will be a great year for adding compost. Unfortunately, it is the first year that I meticulously cleaned my beds of all the leaves that fell, and that probably took away some insulation that might have helped. On the bright side, I have a HUGE compost pile, and will be talking to my "neigbor" who has a monster pile of horse manure from his stables, as well as a friend who has a dump truck. If I can coordinate schedules to get my "neighbor" out with his tractor loader and my friend with his dump truck, this could be the best garden building summer yet!

Homer's Hosta List
MikeWI

Post by MikeWI »

Homer your story is soooo reminicant of my hosta disaster a few years back.... new beds, no mulch early warm spring and then a hard freeze for a week.... I'm a big fan o mulch now.
Mike
Milwaukee
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

I have the same thing here in one big bed I didn't get mulched last year. Actually, it's the entire N. side of the property. Frozen eyes, leaves unfurling looking really gnarly. :( My only loss so far (besides some mini's) is plantagenia Athena. The rest I am just waiting to see what happens next.
I had 2 loads of mulch delivered last weekend, and it is getting put down soon. Aside from that, I am just rolling with the punches and not gonna let it get me down.
I'm just glad for my established Hostas that weren't affected, and those that were, might just suprise me later! :P
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

I really agree with Mike. My hostas with a good layer of much faired much better then the ones with little or no mulch.

Homer, what is the hosta in the great pic you posted?
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

Homer my TRex has a tiny eye that is just starting to show. I hope you will have some luck also.
It is really going to set them back but at least they are not dead.
New Topic Post Reply