Pic of the Day--Fragrant Blue

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Fragrant Blue

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Fragrant Blue is one of those varieties that gets overlooked in our garden. It is easy to do since there it doesn't have many characteristics that would draw attention to itself. It does have fragrant flowers. Other than that, I find the plant unremarkable. It's early season blue color tends to become green by the end of the summer. Since 1999 it has been growing in a spot that receives a little direct sun as the sun passes over the trees. Over that time it has very slowly reached a size of 35x14, still well short of Zilis' 48x20. It benefits from slug protection.
Attachments
Fragrant Blue 6-26-06c 024.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Fragrant Blue

Post by Marlys »

Hank,

I have agreed with your assesment of Fragrant Blue. But! look how beautifylly it sets off the colors of it's neighbors and the powdery blush on the thick substanced, heart shaped leaves is desireable and the lovely pure white flowers are wonderful and as you say thye are fragrant. Mine has never had a slug hole and our friend, Jackie gave my FB to me which makes it very special. Your photograph is lovely and the plant is really lovely too.

Thanx!

MM
New Topic Post Reply