'Grey Ghost' anyone?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
twoblackdogs
USDA Zone: 5

'Grey Ghost' anyone?

Post by twoblackdogs »

This is the third year I have had Grey Ghost. It was a one eyed larged root plant when I bought it. I love 'Guardian Angel', 'Earth Angel', 'Blue Angel', etc...so was excited to find 'Grey Ghost'.

Hosta Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... ey%20Ghost
MyHostas Database - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Grey+Ghost
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/g/greyghost.html

So last year, it was one eye, again, though 1 bigger eye.

Fast forward to this year... still one sad little eye so far. It's in a location that gets morning sun and then filtered shade and a decent amount of water. And no tree roots to bother it. No hostas to bother it. A nearby Blue Angel & Krossa Regal (in the same bed) are growing like gangbusters...

Anybody had success with this one?
Would love to see pictures....
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

I've had one for a few years and it still isn't much. I just like it for it's being odd. I'll post a pic when my batter recharges. It's coming up white and maybe 3 eyes after about 4-5 years.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Similar results here. :???: I've had it since fall 2004 - came directly from Q&Z with Mark Zilis when he spoke to the ROHS group, and I thought it was a nice size when I got it for being a TC. It's been in a holding bed all that time. It was still small last year. 2 eyes maybe. :hmm: I'd have to look at my spreadsheet for sure. I just moved it a few days ago. It was just emerging & I believe there were 3 small yellow eyes just popping out of the soil. Until I saw it I thought it might be one of my casualties this spring, but I've still got it.

Mine just got filtered sun. Is this one that needs more light due to all the color changes maybe?? :-? I always thought the problem was with the tree roots, but maybe they were only part of the problem.

I'd get a pic, but there's not much about it that's photogenic at the moment. :???:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:oops: :oops: :oops: Do not know if I have it.. know it was on my list last year.. but cant find it and and can't use my old PC :evil:
But I planted a one eyed Blue Angel in a lot of shade 3 years ago after one year in a shaded pot.. 2 nice eyes and one tiny...

Got an 2 eyed Earth Angel last year and planted it in a huge pot in all my sun.. 5 nice eyes and 3 smaller this year..
So try to give it more sun :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

My experience is pretty much the same. I've got 2 one-eyed plants that were TC from Q&Z in 04. I moved them last year, hoping to get them to grow a little. I don't think it worked. Mabye the eyes are just a little bigger than they were last year.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

I'm kind of laughing here, Linda said, "I moved them last year, hoping to get them to grow a little. I don't think it worked." I have moved mine I think 5 locations, from 3 different houses, and still it is only 2 eyes. It didn't work for mine either, but it is still a cool, odd hosta to have.
jgh

Post by jgh »

Pretty slow... though mine is planted in deep shade under mature spruce... no direct sun and not much indirect either...

Planted in 2002, small 1 eyed division... first pic is May 20, 2006... second pic about a month later... and it hasn't emerged yet here on the tundra this year...
Grey Ghost 6-17-06  rdcd.JPG
Grey Ghost 2006 rdcd.JPG
toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by toomanyanimals »

jgh, I like the peace sign. Just had to post that!

I really like the blue's the best ... but then I'm really new to hosta ... so no Grey Ghost's in my hosta garden.
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
rakenleafs

Post by rakenleafs »

Looks like 2007 will be the same 1 eye for me too. But thats okay, Grey Ghost has been a delight to watch this spring. Never seen such a color and it changes daily.
grey ghost compare.jpg
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit..
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
rakenleafs Hosta Lists
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I just got Grey Ghost from Hallsons last year. One big fat eye and this year I have two big fat eyes. :) Sure is pretty neat when it first pops out of the ground. Thanks for letting us know it's slow. I won't be expecting large increases in the next few years. :wink:
jgh...I love the peace sign too! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply