Help me ID these 2

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

rakenleafs

Post by rakenleafs »

Molly, I could say the same about mine... they QJ doesn't look the same in the spring as she does in the fall..
But for fun I put the 2 side by side to compare.
Attachments
compare.jpg
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit..
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
rakenleafs Hosta Lists
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Rackenleafs,

The fall shot does look very much like your QJ but the spring one doesn't to my eyes. Yours has a more rounded shape and the edge pattern seems different than the other plant's.
I'm still voting for Wide Brim on their plant's id I'm afraid.

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Try measuring the leaves and counting the vein pairs.

Wide Brim (from Zillis' Hosta Handbook) is supposed to be about 8 1/2" by 6" wide, with a 1" to 2" margin. It supposed to have 10-12 vein pairs.

Wolverine (from Color Encyclopedia of Hosta and a web site) is supposed to be about 10 3/4" long by 5 1/2" wide (narrower leaf), with closer to 8 vein pairs. I'm not sure which of the last two photos you are showing us as a possible Wide Brim...they are different plants, aren't they? Anyway, the first photos of the same plant different times of the year have the same vein count as Wide Brim does. The lower two photos I can't be sure, but the vein count seems lower for certain, and the leaves look narrower. A young plant may not get its full width, and may have fewer veins, in my very limited experience, but they look to be about the same stage of development as that things go, and I would expect that if they are about the same age and mound size, that if they are the same plant, the vein counts would be within 1 or 2 of each other on average.

The scape height on WB is also supposed to be about 24 inches versus 20 on Wolverine, but I don't know as that would be easy to check as an average height of either one could be expected to overlap. As Wolverine is not in Zillis' book, I don't have an indication of whether or not the bloom period is different. Wide Brim is listed as blooming late July into August, and Wolverine is listed as "late summer", which sounds about the same to me.

Laura
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Laura,

The last two photos in the thread given were for comparison to the first two in the thread where the person said that #1 was the plant as it appeared in the fall when received and #2 was the same plant as it emerged the next spring.
The last two photos in the first message were plants this same person owned that represented suggestions others had made about what the unlabelled plant in #1 and #2 might be.
Several of us felt that, based on the way the plant looked in photo #2 at spring , it was Wide Brim. Some had other opinions.
Does this help clear it up? What do you think it looks like?

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
New Topic Post Reply